Saturday, April 13, 2024

NPM 2024: Day 13

I've been posting somewhat less than daily during this National Poetry Month, doing some spring-cleaning of poetic links that are open on my desktop. Some of the links have been there a long time and need to be closed. 


Today I have a couple of quarantine links. The first one is a poem published in 2008.



Quarantine

by Eavan Boland


In the worst hour of the worst season

of the worst year of a whole people

a man set out from the workhouse with his wife.


Here's the rest.

 

The other link is a crowdsourced poem from NPR, published in May 2021. Kwame Alexander put together lines sent in by listeners to create the poem, and I noticed right away that Poetry Friday regular Margaret Simon was among the contributors.


The poem begins like this:


"I Wake with Wonder"


Every Morning

I wake with wonder

and dive into the day

I grasp for my phone like a lifeline, a buoy,

I rise among the displaced dreams of yore

Supplanted plans, disrupted from the year

So distanced from all social life before


Here's the rest.

 

I was just thinking this week how long it's been since I took a moment to be grateful for the fact that I no longer have to teach online or wearing a mask. 

 

Today Denise Krebs is adding her line to the Progressive Poem. 

No comments: