Monday, April 08, 2024

NPM 2024: Day 8 - The Progressive Poem is Here!

 

I've participated in the Progressive Poem every year starting with the first one in 2012. I was thinking that this year was my earliest appearance, but when I went back and looked at all of them, I saw that I wrote the seventh line in 2020. That was the year we used song lyrics. And this year we're writing couplets. 


It's always hard to find the balance between lyrical description and making something happen. There's also a bit of a pattern to follow, so I'm thinking I want some kind of off-rhyme at least. I know that morning is coming, and we're starting to see colors (red and brown) as the sun comes up. While sunrise is always beautiful, the light increases the danger. There's a border ahead, and there's a group going there. Courage is required, and fortunately, they're carrying that.

 

 

Here's the poem so far, as it came to me, with my couplet in bold at the end.


cradled in stars, our planet sleeps,
clinging to tender dreams of peace
sister moon watches from afar,
    singing lunar lullabies of hope.

 

almost dawn, I walk with others,
    keeping close, my little brother.
hand in hand, we carry courage
escaping closer to the border.

 

My feet are lightning;
My heart is thunder.
Our pace draws us closer
to a new land of wonder.

 

I bristle against rough brush —
poppies ahead brighten the browns.
Morning light won’t stay away —
hearts jump at every sound. 

 

You can keep following the poem's journey by visiting the blogs below:


April 1 Patricia Franz at Reverie
April 2 Jone MacCulloch
April 3 Janice Scully at Salt City Verse
April 4 Leigh Anne Eck at A Day in the Life
April 5 Irene at Live Your Poem
April 6 Margaret at Reflections on the Teche
April 7 Marcie Atkins
April 8 Ruth at There is No Such Thing as a God Forsaken Town
April 9 Karen Eastlund
April 10 Linda Baie at Teacher Dance
April 11 Buffy Silverman
April 12 Linda Mitchell at A Word Edgewise
April 13 Denise Krebs at Dare to Care
April 14 Carol Varsalona at Beyond Literacy Link
April 15 Rose Cappelli at Imagine the Possibilities
April 16 Sarah Grace Tuttle
April 17 Heidi Mordhorst at my juicy little universe
April 18 Tabatha at Opposite of Indifference
April 19 Catherine Flynn at Reading to the Core
April 20 Tricia Stohr-Hunt at The Miss Rumphius Effect
April 21 Janet, hosted here at Reflections on the Teche
April 22 Mary Lee Hahn at A(nother) Year of Reading
April 23 Tanita Davis at (fiction, instead of lies)
April 24 Molly Hogan at Nix the Comfort Zone
April 25 Joanne Emery at Word Dancer
April 26 Karin Fisher-Golton at Still in Awe
April 27 Donna Smith at Mainly Write
April 28 Dave at Leap of Dave
April 29 Robyn Hood Black at Life on the Deckle Edge
April 30 Michelle Kogan at More Art for All

 

7 comments:

Margaret Simon said...

Ruth, you added a bit of suspense with the hearts beating. I love it! This year the poem seems to be writing itself. It's a gift to us.

Linda B said...

It makes me sad to think of the constant tension being felt by those who are traveling and hoping for a new life. Ruth, you've shown it so poignantly in your words.

Karin Fisher-Golton said...

I like the tension you've added--and the perspective that in some situations the morning light is not welcome. I also like that you've written about the sun's light on this eclipse day!

Mary Lee said...

Hmm...suspense and tension were exactly the words I was going to use! Thanks for this reminder that it's not an easy walk our character is taking!

Carol Varsalona said...

Ruth, thank you for your sensitivity and thoughtful practice before you write your lines. Since I am ready after you posted, I did not think of the solar eclipse being on the same day as your PP post. I thank Karen for mentioning that.

Heidi Mordhorst said...

Hi, Ruth! Catching up here, and grateful for the sharing of your thinking as you crafted your couplet. I hear a nice combination of kid-voice and poetic embodiment of emotion. Happy NPM!

Robyn Hood Black said...

"Hearts jump" is perfect. I'm sure your heart is especially turned toward those in tough places in the world.