Saturday, February 24, 2007

Saturday

No power at home, but the generator's on at school and I'm working in my classroom. Semicolon is taking a hiatus from blogging for Lent, but still posting the Saturday Review of Books. Amy is also taking a break for Lent, and Alana considered it. All these people are making me feel guilty. It occurs to me that I ought to be taking my temporary trials in the same spirit, as in, I guess I've inadvertently given up electricity for Lent. How nice. No doubt this will reap all kinds of inner growth. Well, I'm trying. I really am.

Part of my Bible reading the other night (I'm following the Lectionary from the Book of Common Prayer) was from Habbakuk. Here's a bit of it: "Though the fig tree does not bud and there are no grapes on the vines, though the olive crop fails and the fields produce no food, though there are no sheep in the pen and no cattle in the stalls, yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will be joyful in God my Savior." (Habbakuk 3:17-18)

Yeah, I know, I'm pathetic. I haven't even missed a meal and there are plenty of sheep in the pen and cattle in the stalls, metaphorically speaking. (Thankfully I have no actual livestock to deal with.) I have plenty to be joyful about. Sometimes my rejoicing is a little forced, though.

No comments: