Tuesday, March 09, 2010

Nothing Can Separate

A friend sent me an iTunes gift certificate and I was shopping for songs. I downloaded several I'd never heard before. I've been a Carolyn Arends fan for a long time (in fact, the title of my blog comes from one of her songs) so I randomly chose a few from her latest album.

When I listened to this one, I thought, No way. It's about an earthquake? What are the odds of that?

I googled the lyrics and found out that not only is it (partly) about an earthquake, but Carolyn Arends played it in a Haiti benefit. And not only that, but I could have downloaded it for free! But I thought I'd tell you about it just in case you wanted to. Go here for more information.

Here are the lyrics:

NOTHING CAN SEPARATE

Carolyn Arends

Somewhere there's a mother waking up
To news in the night that she cannot bear
And somewhere the whole earth is quaking
Making dust of the city that was standing there
Well who can say if the trouble comes from
Above or below or the hands of fate
I just pray when the trouble does come
You help us to remember the promise you make

I know - neither death nor life
Not the past nor the present nor
Things to come
No foe - neither depth nor height
Can separate us
From the love of Christ

Today there's a church group meeting
Though the government already burned their building down
They say there's no kind of beating
That can take away the peace and the joy they've found

They know - Chorus
Though we go through the valley's shadow
And we live out our lives in these dangerous times
Still we know every step that we go
We don't have to walk alone, You walk by our side

We know - Chorus

Nothing can separate us from the love of Christ

No comments: