Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Happier Person?

In the in-flight magazine for American Airlines, American Way, I read about a flight attendant who has founded a charity in Central and South America. (You can read more about it at her website.) It sounds like wonderful work she is doing.

I was struck by this quote: "Traveling from areas of relative wealth to the desperate poverty of children living and begging in the streets changes you. You become a more grateful, happy person."

I've been thinking about this quote for a couple of days now. Definitely this experience changes you. Definitely it makes you appreciate the amazing bounty you have, in comparison with so many in this world. But does it make you happier?

In some ways, I can see that this may be true. Being a thankful person is a good way to be a happy person in the sense of contentment, not constantly thinking you need more and more. But I think I would be a happier person, a more carefree person, if I didn't know some of what I know about the suffering on this planet. I don't think being happy in that way is necessarily a good goal to have - a sort of "ignorance is bliss" way of living - but I can certainly see the appeal of it some days. Wouldn't it be relaxing never to think about anything beyond your own comfort? Not good morally, but somehow restful.

What do you think? Many of my readers (not that "many" is really the word to describe my readership) have spent time in developing countries. Do you find you are happier as a result?

3 comments:

Bridget said...

I think it depends on what kind of person you start out as. If you're a happy, shiny person who believes all the world is good to start, you'll probably end up thankful and grateful. If you're more prone to see what's not right in the world anyway, you'll see that in more of a stark contrast.

I guess it could make you happy if you're not a Calvinist. :)

Ruth said...

Heh. If you're a Calvinist, nothing makes you happy, right?!

(By the way, do you know what Calvin said after he fell down the stairs? "Glad I got that over with.")

:-)

T and T Livesay said...

Hey ---
I am way behind on everyone's blogs but thought I would weigh in. I don't think happier is right. More thankful, more aware, more well-rounded, less self focused maybe --- but not happier.

But, I started out happy so nothing much has changed.