Sunday, May 18, 2008

Three Cups of Tea



"I was alone. I was covered in mud and goat blood. I'd lost my luggage. I didn't speak the local language. I hadn't had a meal for days, but I felt surprisingly good." - Greg Mortenson, in Three Cups of Tea.

You have to love a guy who talks like that, and I found my affection for Greg Mortenson, an MK from Tanzania turned mountain climber, growing all the way through this book. Terrifically written by journalist David Oliver Relin, this book kept me eagerly turning pages. It's the story of Mortenson's quest to build schools in Pakistan and Afghanistan after coming to know some of the needs of the people of the region while attempting to climb K2.

Of course it's never as easy as handing over the cash (even if you have some, which he didn't) when you want to help people change things, and Mortenson goes through his share of difficulties before his organization begins to have success. He rolls with whatever happens, whether being kidnapped by men with automatic weapons, having a fatwa declared against him, or, well, see the quote above. I smiled when I read the Mortenson is always late. Folks, this is the consummate adult MK. And the love story with his wife is not to be missed.

I have some experience with being in a country the media has portrayed negatively, and finding that they have left out a lot of the story, and therefore I appreciated Mortenson's positive picture of these people who have difficult lives, but are strong and courageous. (Or maybe I should say, who have difficult lives and SO are strong and courageous.)

One question I'd like to ask Mortenson is whether he has continued to practice the Christianity he grew up with. I appreciated the respectful way he interacted with Muslims but I am curious to know more about his own spiritual beliefs.

This is a great book - book #21 of the year - read it right away!


Image courtesy Greg Mortenson, Central Asia Institute (See more at Mortenson's website.)

4 comments:

SW said...

Very nice review. I'd like to read it.

Anonymous said...

I agree; this sounds very good. Maybe "somebody" (hint, hint) should write a book that does justice to the people of Tecwil.

Why are adult MK's always late?

Ruth said...

Well, not all of them are - it depends where they grew up. Since Mortenson grew up somewhere where time isn't terribly important, he's held on to that trait.

Anonymous said...

Oh! I get it now. Having a foot in two cultures is the consummate adult MK trait.