Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Corruption

Yesterday one of my eighth graders told me that the "Something of Illinois" had been arrested. When I found out what had happened to Illinois Governor Rod Blagojevich, I explained it to the student. I defined the word "corruption" and told her what Blagojevich was accused of.

I can't decide if it's a good or bad thing that she learned the word from a situation in another country. Her country is always on Transparency International's list of the most corrupt countries in the world, but this arrest reminds all of us that people are people, temptation is temptation, and corruption happens everywhere. At least in the United States you get in trouble if you are found out.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

And yet, amazingly, he was back at work THE NEXT MORNING, proving that, even in the USA, who you are, who you know, and how much money you have, hugely effects how fast the wheels of justice roll.

T and T Livesay said...

ugh.