Friday, April 08, 2011

Poetry Friday: The House Was Quiet on a Winter Afternoon

I have been enjoying getting two daily poems in my email (for information on how to sign up, you can see my Poetry Friday post for last week). I liked this one from Monday:

The House was Quiet on a Winter Afternoon
by David Young

Someone was reading in the back,
two travelers had gone somewhere,
maybe to Chicago,

a boy was out walking, muffled up,
alert on the frozen creek,
a sauce was simmering on the stove.

Birds outside at the feeder
threw themselves softly
from branch to branch.

Suddenly I did not want my life
to be any different.
I was where I needed to be.

You can read the rest of it here.

I love those moments when we know we are right where we need to be, and life feels just right. As you'll see later in the poem, the persona has not won this sense lightly.

Today's Poetry Friday roundup is here.

2 comments:

Andromeda Jazmon said...

What a sad poem, chilled as the winter. I am glad the birds were there too. Thanks for sharing it! I didn't sign up for the email poems because I thought I couldn't keep up. I hate to think what I am missing!

Mary Lee said...

I love those moments when my life feels just RIGHT. (no matter the cost)