Friday, June 03, 2011

Poetry Friday: A Pie Instead?

Last Thursday was the first day I didn't have to teach. I wrote a poem instead. I wrote one the next day too. I loved having the time for my own writing and I kept going; every day since the end of school I have written at least one poem. I have a long list of ideas, and I find that when I am writing regularly, I'm constantly generating more. I am hooked!

I don't think I have enough distance from any of these poems to post them yet. Instead, today, here's a poem about a poet who decided to make a pie instead. I am extremely fortunate to have several people who read and appreciate my poems, but like Grace Paley I sometimes think something to eat might be appreciated even more.

The Poet's Occasional Alternative
by Grace Paley

I was going to write a poem
I made a pie instead it took
about the same amount of time
of course the pie was a final
draft a poem would have had some
distance to go days and weeks and
much crumpled paper

the pie already had a talking
tumbling audience among small
trucks and a fire engine on
the kitchen floor

You can read the rest of this wonderful poem here.

And here's today's Poetry Friday roundup.

6 comments:

Tabatha said...

How productive you are! It's a fabulous habit to have. Love that poem! Thanks, Ruth.

Janet said...

I like this one, but I hope you'll post some of yours soon!

jama said...

One of my favorite poems! Thanks for sharing it :).

Author Amok said...

This poem has such a interesting cadence. I'll be reading it a few more times.

Matsu said...

While it is certainly true that pie is delicious and friends or family may ask the question, "Why did you only make one?" I would argue with the author of this poem that it is not just desserts that would elicit such a question.

Believe it or not, I would ask the same question of a poet. For a single poem, while good, deserves another, and another, for the poet to be fully understood. So, I will ask of you, may I have another?

S. Evelyn said...

I love this poem!

And I have given you an award. http://jotting-down-notes.blogspot.com/2011/06/apparently-im-versatile-who-knew-right.html