Tuesday, January 07, 2014

My Garden

I have some free time on Tuesday mornings, which usually is great, but today, as I wait to see my kids for the first time since their Christmas break, I am at loose ends and strangely nervous.  I started thinking about this passage in The Wednesday Wars, by Gary Schmidt, a book I read with my seventh graders back in the fall.  A seventh grader is speaking about his teacher and their class:

"It was early spring and we were her garden, and she was starting to see the bulbs and seeds that she had planted in us last fall coming up.  She raked away our dead leaves, spaded new soil around us, and watered and fertilized.  And we grew fast and green, let me tell you."

I'm ready to get back to the gardening!

2 comments:

Linda B said...

Thanks for reminding me about this lovely metaphor of teaching, Ruth. I love that book, too! Hope you have a wonderful week of sowing and weeding and the general enjoyment of the flowers!

Jessica Stock said...

This is wonderful. Have never thought of teacher anxiety. I'm sure it happens only to the best kind.