Friday, February 16, 2018

Poetry Friday: Stability

I have several things to share with you this week for Poetry Friday.

First, I get a daily poem email from poets.org (you can sign up for it on the website), and yesterday's was "Scaffolding," by Seamus Heaney.  To me, this poem speaks to long-term relationships, whether marriage or friendship or family ties, and the way we learn over time that we can count on certain people.  The many hours and years that have gone into wall-building, the stories that have gone into our history, have produced a fine and lovely building.

Secondly, last week I received a postcard from Tabatha, and I'm posting a photo of the front and one of the back, with the poem she chose for me.  This one, too, seems to speak to history and stability, a happiness beyond flightiness.  Thank you, Tabatha, for this perfect choice.

I'm going to be turning fifty soon, and I've been in a reflective mood about this large number, and about my life so far, what I have lost and what I have kept, what lasts and what doesn't.  Both of these poems are appropriate for this mood. 


Scaffolding
Seamus Heaney

Masons, when they start upon a building,
Are careful to test out the scaffolding;

Make sure that plans won't slip at busy points,
Secure all ladders, tighten bolted joints.

And yet all this comes down when the job's done
Showing off walls of sure and solid stone.

So if, my dear, there sometimes seem to be
Old bridges breaking between you and me

Never fear.  We may let the scaffolds fall
Confident that we have built our wall.

I also posted a couple of original poems this week: Metaphor for Valentine's Day, and Ashes for Ash Wednesday.

12 comments:

Tabatha said...

I <3 Seamus Heaney. Thanks for sharing this, and for your two original poems this week. Enjoyed them both.

Joyce Ray said...

Heaney's poem is lovely, Ruth. It speaks of a wall of strength constructed together, a bond that is lasting and true - the best kind of wall. Thanks for sharing Tabatha's poem gift, too.

Linda B said...

I love Tabatha's poem, Ruth & your words that introduce us to these thoughtful words. Heaney so often makes me think about something, and here is one again: "Never fear. We may let the scaffolds fall/Confident that we have built our wall."

Kay said...

I had a similar reaction when I read the Heaney poem in my inbox. I am grateful for those relationships in my life that leave a solid wall once the scaffolding falls away. And Tabatha's poem is lovely.

Diane Mayr said...

Both poems are lovely. Let's celebrate what essentially is the basis for happiness--trust.

(And a happy birthday!)

Linda Mitchell said...

Oh, I love this poem Scaffolding. Thank you. Don't worry about turning fifty...it's not as bad as the anticipation of it. Enjoy entering your next act!

Mary Lee said...

I loved that Seamus Heaney, too!

Jane @ www.raincitylibrarian.ca said...

Things may come and go in life, but it is the strength of our foundations that matters. A good reminder, whatever our birthday number might be! :)

Alice Nine said...

Rolling over a decade has always made me more reflective. Linda Mitchell's advice is right on.

Michelle Kogan said...

A strong foundation will hold the shifts in between the years–thanks for the grand poem by Seamus Heaney. Fifty, just think of it like a brand new start. Loved the postcard from Tabatha, poem and image, thanks!

Michelle Heidenrich Barnes said...

I turned 50 last year, Ruth, and found myself in a similar mindset. Once the "momentous" day passed, I already started to feel better, and now, having just turned 51, I can say the anxiety has well and truly passed. I took stock, made changes as needed, and am a much happier person. Sounds to me like these poems are showing you the way... reflection is good. :)

jama said...

Wonderful poems. It's good to remember the sure footing of cherished relationships in turbulent times. Happy Almost Birthday!! From where I sit, 50 is young. :)