Friday, September 27, 2019

Poetry Friday: The Republic of Poetry

The Republic of Poetry
by Martín Espada

for Chile

In the republic of poetry,
a train full of poets
rolls south in the rain
as plum trees rock
and horses kick the air,
and village bands
parade down the aisle
with trumpets, with bowler hats,
followed by the president
of the republic,
shaking every hand.


Here's the rest of the poem.

Don't you wish you lived in the Republic of Poetry today? It sounds like a better place to be than where I actually am, here in Haiti, with the lockdown and the videos on Facebook of things burning and the underlying anxiety that's been going on for over a year now. This particular lockdown is heading for the end of its second week; since September 16th, we've had a day and a half of school. I'm sending assignments to my students, and they're sending work back, but it's a little hard for them and me to focus when things are falling apart around us.

Go read about the Republic of Poetry. Nothing to see here.

Here's today's roundup.

(If you want to read about what's going on in Haiti, The Miami Herald is a good place to start.)


6 comments:

Carol Varsalona said...

Ruth, I am sorry that you are troubled by the unrest in Haiti. I read through the links you provided and yes a republic of poetry would be a better option for you. It is horrible that children cannot attend school but it is so generous that you keep up their lessons via work sent home. Please take care of yourself and send us more news on what is happening in Haiti. Stay safe.

Please use this comment instead of the other. Stay safe.

Linda B said...

Our news as far as I am watching is reporting none of this, Ruth. I am so sorry to read of how terrible things appear to be, the loss of businesses for jobs & of the lives lost, too. Then, for you, kept from your own life teaching, your students staying home, but I'm glad you can continue to connect. That must be good for them and for you. Yes, I see that you would rather be in the "Republic of Poetry". Considering the political turmoil here, too, I'd love to see "poets and baboons alike, scream for joy". Thanks for posting some solace for everyone.

Kimberly Hutmacher said...

Oh Ruth, I'm so sorry. This is the first I've heard of the lockdowns. I'm not seeing reports here. I'm praying for you and your students and the good people of Haiti who deserve a beautiful Republic of Poetry.

Linda Mitchell said...

Ruth, I'm sorry to say I've not heard of the lockdown. How terrible. If you could give us a tip on where we can find reliable news about it, I'd appreciate it. And, yes. I vote for The Republic of Poetry any day of the week. My love to you and your students. What a terrible forced separation.

Kay said...

I've only known of the lockdown in Haiti from your Facebook posts updating school status each day. I'm glad you are able to connect with your students, but I can only imagine how difficult it must be to live in the midst of it. Yes, the Republic of POetry sounds like a good place to be. I like the idea of bombarding the palace with poems on bookmarks. Hugs and prayers to you and the people of Haiti.

Molly Hogan said...

Oh, Ruth, this must be a time of such anxiety for all of you. The Republic of Poetry sounds like a wonderful place to be. I hope that soon the unrest will settle down and you'll be reunited with your students. Thinking of all of you and wishing you calmer days. Such a world...