Thursday, August 13, 2020

Poetry Friday: Patrice de La Tour du Pin

A few days after I got home from the hospital, I got a message from a friend who lives nearby. She asked if she could bring over a book for me. Of course the answer to that question is always yes. Here's the book she brought:

It's an interlinear edition, with the French on the left side and the English on the right. And what a fascinating poet Patrice de La Tour du Pin (1911-1975) turns out to be. Many (most) of these poems are prayers, titled only with numbers like the Psalms of the Bible.

Here's a taste:



I've read through the English once, and now I want to go back and read it alongside the French, to compare what the translator has done with the original. 

 

I'm thankful for friends with books to lend and words to share! 

 

Today's roundup is here.

9 comments:

Tabatha said...

I just ran off and bought it for my daughter...Thanks for the tip

Carol Varsalona said...

Ruth, this gift is a perfect one to bring positivity to your recovery period. May you continue to grow in strength and health. I saw your photo with your husband as you went off to hike. What a great smile you had and I truly hope that your day was enjoyable.

Michelle Kogan said...

"With my voice I raise up a body made of poetry," lovely moving lines, thanks for sharing them Ruth. Sounds like they found the right person to visit with too…

mbhmaine said...

What a beautiful gift! These lines really moved me: "With my voice I raise up a body made of poetry/I exhale in my breath everything that populates me." I find translation fascinating and hope you share some of your thoughts on what you find when you compare the original and the translation. I'm so glad to continue to hear good news about your recovery!

Linda B said...

It seems that your friend bringing the book meant beautiful light came into your home with those poems, Ruth. What a special and thoughtful gift. I'm so glad you are better! Happy reading!

Linda Mitchell said...

Oh, how beautiful. What a special translation and gift. Enjoy.

Bridget Magee said...

I am thankful for you for sharing your gift(s) with us readers, Ruth. Lovely words to continue to fuel your recovery. :)

Mary Lee said...

I love this: "I make my poems the way an ash tree makes leaves" and "...Lord, I ask you kindly:/dapple light upon my leaves."

Thank you for sharing! Best wishes for your continued recovery!

laurasalas said...

"dapple light upon my leaves" -- oh! Hope your recovery continues speedily!