Friday, February 11, 2022

Poetry Friday: Back to Work

We're back to work in person this week, and whew! "It's a lot," as my students in Haiti used to say. (Do my students in Paraguay say that, too? I really don't know yet.)


I've got some figuring out to do, in my classroom, in my library (yep, new job at my new job), in the grocery store, in life in general. But it feels as though things are mostly moving in the right direction. I'm learning more Spanish words. I know where all my classes are (kids stay put and teachers move, per Paraguay pandemic guidelines). 


Last week I posted a birthday poem, and this week I heard another one on the Slowdown podcast. It's a good reminder of two things: my birthday is coming up soon, and time is passing. Seize the days, even the overwhelming ones! 


It starts this way:

 

Birthday

by Kathleen Rooney

 

At first, birthdays were

reserved for kings and saints.

But it's rainbow sprinkles and

face painting for everybody

these days. 



And my favorite (if somewhat gloomy) lines from further down in the poem:  



The candles gutter; the candles

go out. Better to blow them

dark yourself.

 

Here's the whole thing. 

 

And here's Linda's roundup! I haven't made it around to everyone's post from last Friday, but maybe today...


 

12 comments:

Linda Mitchell said...

Wonderful! Wonderful for moving forward...wonderful for LIBRARY...and for anticipating rainbow sprinkles for your birthday. Thanks for the catch up, Ruth!

jama said...

Good to hear you're making progress and settling in slowly but surely. What a birthday poem -- so thought provoking. I don't know whether to laugh or cry. Are birthdays a time to bemoan the losses that come with aging -- or a chance to celebrate having made it this far? Have a good birthday, rainbow sprinkles and all.

Karen Eastlund said...

Ruth: Thanks for this poem. I relate to the last line: I just swing at them with a stick! Haha. Best to you...

Linda B said...

Love hearing you're the librarian, Ruth. They are so lucky to have you! As for birthdays, the Rooney poem rather nails it! I love what you shared & in the whole poem, "foolish cavorting". That is the place! Thanks for every part!

mbhmaine said...

I love hearing about your new adventures, Ruth! I don't know about kids in Paraguay but teachers in Maine definitely say "It's a lot." Sometimes we say it, well...., a lot! I love the birthday poem you shared and its conversational tone. So many lines and words popped out at me. This is one to savor and perhaps to use as a mentor. Thanks for sharing!

Patricia Franz said...

Birthday blessings and joy in the new job! Thank you for the birthday poem!

Carol Varsalona said...

It's important to recognize one year gone by so I send you special rainbow sprinkled thoughts and best wishes for your soon-to-come birthday, Ruth. The slowdown poem is wonderful. Best of luck as you start your new life journey.

Heidi Mordhorst said...

A librarian--how wonderful! I think my attitude towards birthdays goes with today's post about philautia--self-love. I use my birthday--days and weeks, now--as a reason to celebrate and indulge myself in ways I don't usually, swinging again and again at that pinata. I already ordered my March 11 birthday present: a countertop electric composter! If it works I'll become an appliance ambassador as well as a Climate Activist. : ) Can you email me your snailmail address?

Linda said...

I used to dread the thought of getting older. Now, I'm just so grateful for them! Wishing you lots of rainbow sprinkles for your birthday!

Mary Lee said...

"Seize the days, even the overwhelming ones!" Sage advice, but also, give yourself grace to take all this newness very slowly, one step at a time!

Bridget Magee said...

You've got this, Ruth! Having had to "figure out" a new culture/language and still doing so 4 years later, I can relate. Love this poem - hadn't thought of Orange Crush in years. I have it on good authority that really cool people are born in February. ;)

skanny17 said...

My dream job, a librarian. Do you have books in English? My dream? Finding some wonderful person to buy me a small house in my town near the downtown, so I could have a poetry library a la Miss Franny Block in Because of Winn Dixie!!!! I am glad to hear your adventures, Ruth. My friend has flown to Cartagena for a wedding celebration for her granddaughter (through marriage). Kind of like saying California and Illinois, but same continent. I hope you are feeling more and more adjusted and at peace. Love to you, Ruth.
Janet Clare F.