Thursday, July 14, 2022

Poetry Friday: July


I'm in the United States during this warm, dry summer. Some of the best moments in the last few weeks have involved friends, family, birds, and bicycles. I took the coneflower photo above on a morning birding expedition a couple of days ago.


Here's a poem about July:


July Day

by Babette Deutsch


The afternoon sways like an elephant, wears

His smooth grey hide, displays his somnolent grace, weighing

The majesty of his ponderous pace against

The slyness twinkling in an innocent eye.

 

Keep reading here, where the metaphor of the "elephant afternoon" goes on. 


Here's this week's roundup.

9 comments:

Tim Kulp said...

Wow! I really enjoyed your poem. The flow really resonated with me. Thanks for sharing!

Robyn Hood Black said...

Thanks for this weighty surprise of a poem, Ruth! Wishing you nurturing, rest and fun during your visit... "family, birds, and bicycles" sounds like a perfect way to spend your time!

Elisabeth said...

A summer with friends, family, birds and bicycles sounds near-perfect to me! Thank you for sharing this summer poem with us - a wonderful example of extending the metaphor.

Linda Mitchell said...

Isn't that such truth? The hours of July...the limbs of an elephant. Wonderful picture. I'm so glad you are getting some time with loved ones and birding! I'm looking forward to some bird reflections.

Mary Lee said...

What a surprise to use an elephant as a metaphor for July! But it works! Especially that ending!

Michelle Kogan said...

Love the metaphors in this poem and its ending,
"This elephant afternoon" you can really feel the weight.

and closing with, "it will be trumpeting."

Hope you enjoy your stay and catch sight of many winged friends, thanks Ruth!

Carol Varsalona said...

Ruth, it is wonderful to hear that you are enjoying your holiday in the states. The poem you shared is very interesting. I like the elephant metaphor introduced that had me reflecting. Today, mugginess surrounded me every time I walked outside. It reminded me of my childhood. The only difference is the addition of air conditioning now. Have a good summer.

Bridget Magee said...

Thanks a ton for sharing this elephant-astic poem for July, Ruth! Enjoy your US adventures. :)

Karen Edmisten said...

"This elephant afternoon
winks at the glory of which it is part,
and bears itself with patience."

I love that. Thanks for this poem which captures the heft and beauty of July.

So glad you're enjoying the time state-side!