Thursday, December 15, 2022

Reading Update

Book #69 of the year was The Lincoln Highway, by Amor Towles. While I didn't love this as much as Towles' book A Gentleman in Moscow, which I read twice in 2018, it was a rollicking read. 


Book #70 was The Marriage Portrait, by Maggie O'Farrell. This is a historical novel about Lucrezia de'Medici, the duchess in Browning's poem "My Last Duchess." All of O'Farrell's books I've read have been good, and I enjoyed this one, too.


Book #71 was When You Reach Me, by Rebecca Stead, the winner of the Newbery Medal in 2010. I hadn't read it before, and I liked it. I'm not sure how I had gone so long without reading it!


Book #72 was No et Moi, by Delphine de Vigan. I thought this book, the story of a precocious teenager's relationship with a homeless woman in Paris, was well worth reading. 


Book #73 was Sankofa, by Chibundu Onuzo. It's the story of a mixed-race British woman, Anna, who grew up without a father. When she finds a journal in her mother's things, she starts to learn more and more, until she has to go find the man himself.

 

Book #74 was Everything Sad is Untrue, Daniel Nayeri's story of being a refugee from Iran. This really was a special, unexpected book. I couldn't put it down. 

No comments: