Friday, March 10, 2023

Poetry Friday: Theater

In addition to my already full schedule, I've been helping with the school play, "The Tempest," complete with 80s music. It's been so much fun, and I've been thinking a lot about what a great thing it is for kids to be in a play, how it's making something together, something real. It's the closest I'll ever come to being part of a sports team. 


Here's a poem I found about a theater, and I especially love this line: "A false world ends in real debris." True, that.

 

 


For the Demolition of a Theater

by Elder James Olson

 

The player was neither king nor clown;

Of tragedy or comedy,

Truth is the last catastrophe.

 

Paper castles, too, fall down;

Spider and mouse have always known

A false world ends in real debris.

 

Here's the rest. 

 

 

 

And because I want to include a feather, for my OLW:




Heidi's hosting today's roundup.


12 comments:

Irene Latham said...

Also true that spider and mouse have always known! 80s music with the Tempest sounds like a lot of fun, Ruth. xo

Tabatha said...

I'm sorry Elder Olson's theater was demolished, although he did get an excellent poem out of it.
So glad about the fun of your "Tempest"!

Denise Krebs said...

Yes, the theatre really brings people together. I hope you continue to have fun and that the production goes without a flaw. Break a leg. I like these lines:

O Prince of dreams, mock-Majesty / Nothing stays the ruinous sea / Even the painted waves roll on

Linda B said...

How wonderful to be a helper, Ruth. One granddaughter loves being on stage & I think she will love this poem and the talk of it all being left for cobwebs.

Patricia Franz said...

Even the dreamt kingdoms drown! Wielding truth, right?!?

Janice Scully said...

That poem evoked the back stage of an old theatre—sad to me. I loved the music you shared. It felt magical hearing it this afternoon.

Carol Varsalona said...

Ruth, I am so glad that you are enjoying being a helper with the theater group. I found the poem you shared to be full of ideas to ponder=> Truth is the last catastrophe.

Rose Cappelli said...

Working with a theater production is such fun! And thanks for the poem - one I hadn't read before.

Heidi Mordhorst said...

I love that oldish poem and its interesting form...I think I'll line it out to see how it works (and probably that it's an established form that I can't quite recognize). Re: feathers--do you know that just on Friday we watched "Forrest Gump," I for the very first time? What a funny coincidence to see his feather here.

laurasalas said...

Sounds like a great sense of community! This also makes me think of Liz Garton Scanlon's fun picture book to creativity (including putting on a show), THINK BIG. Thanks, Ruth!

Karen Edmisten said...

What a marvelous poem, so evocative to this former (always, in her heart) theater kid.
Loved this line too:

"Even the dreamt kingdoms drown."

Thanks, Ruth!

Linda Mitchell said...

That last line...Karen quotes it above is wonderful. And, I love the feather video. Thank you.