Friday, May 05, 2023

Poetry Friday: Flower Moon


 

(I found this graphic on Facebook, but you can buy it as a poster here.)


Edit: Looking again at the graphic on Saturday morning, I can see that it says the Flower Moon is in June. But when I looked it up on the internet on Thursday night (and again just now), I found that May's full moon is called the Flower Moon. I don't know which is correct, but I wrote about the Flower Moon!

 

Tonight is a full moon. I took the photo last night, when it looked full already, and enjoyed thinking about the Flower Moon. It's the end of our school day here in Uganda, and I have a student in my room making up a French listening test. As I sit here babysitting the recording that's playing for her, it's the first opportunity I've had today to write something about the photo.



Fresh from the garden,

Flower moon (dusted with dirt,

Dew-soaked) smells of life.

 

©Ruth Bowen Hersey

 

The lovely Linda has today's roundup here.


 

9 comments:

Tabatha said...

Beautiful, Ruth!

Linda B said...

I took a picture last night, too, Ruth, also thought it was full. I did love looking at it and its name, too. It's wonderful you've celebrated this new "bloom". Have a lovely weekend!

Denise Krebs said...

Ruth, I love the parentheticals here of this lovely flower moon: "(dusted with dirt, Dew-soaked). I love the idea of that the moons each month have names. I think a series of moon poems would be lovely.

laurasalas said...

So much in so few words, Ruth! Love this.

Rose Cappelli said...

I'm in for anything about the moon, Ruth, and your haiku is a delight. I love thinking about the flower moon as "fresh from the garden." Thank you!

Michelle Kogan said...

Gorgeous and so fresh, thanks and for your enchanting pic too Ruth!

Mary Lee said...

Perfection!

And so fun knowing that the moon was full in Ohio and Uganda and everywhere in between!

Patricia Franz said...

Love that graphic and a Flower Moon fresh from the garden - ANY month!

Karen Edmisten said...

Gorgeous poem, Ruth, and gorgeous photo. ❤️