Friday, November 17, 2023

Poetry Friday: Looking Forward to Welcoming You Next Week

I'm hosting next week! My husband and I are hosting Thanksgiving at our house on Saturday (this isn't a local holiday, and Thursday is a work day). And I'm hosting Poetry Friday next week too. 

 

The world is having a tough time right now, isn't it? I think it's a good time to search for some things we're thankful for, because we sure can see a lot of heartbreak wherever we look. So when you come to Poetry Friday next week, and leave your link in my comments, could you tell us something good, something that shows you that there's still joy to be had? When I used to teach English, we'd write odes at the end of November, focusing on something we loved extravagantly. Feel free to show the heartbreak too. That's all part of it. 


Here's a poem:


I Wanted to be Surprised

by Jane Hirshfield


To such a request, the world is obliging.


In just the past week, a rotund porcupine,

who seemed equally startled by me.


Keep reading for more surprising things.

 

 

See you next week! And be sure to visit Irene's roundup!

 

P.S. Here's something that surprised me this week: a woolly mammoth, left in my classroom.

 


 

9 comments:

Irene Latham said...

Hi Ruth! I love the mammoth. I tried to comment earlier, and it didn’t work. I’m so glad you are celebrating Thanksgiving. I am all about looking for the good. It’s out there. It’s here. It’s you! Looking forward to next week. XO.

Tracey Kiff-Judson said...

Wonderful poem, Ruth, thank you for sharing! That tiny mammoth is certainly a surprise. I think, by the look on his very human face, that he may be surprised by some things too! : )

Linda Mitchell said...

Yay! I'm delighted that you're hosting next week. Thank you in advance...especially since your Thanksgiving will be a bit delayed. What a lovely poem by Hirshfield. It's so full of gratitude without spelling it out. Gosh, I want to write a poem like this...will try for next week.

Denise Krebs said...

Ruth, thank you for sharing this sweet poem of goodness. I'll look forward to next week. Have a fun Thanksgiving. It was always special to host Thanksgiving for my friends who didn't have any history with it when I lived overseas!

Linda B said...

I love the poem, noticed that she wrote it before the Pandemic, so wonder what might be included now? Yes, we need some goodness and every day! Wishing you a lovely Thanksgiving with your husband and friends, Ruth.

Michelle Kogan said...

Love your woolly mammoth surprise and Jane Hirshfield's poem. Some goodness in the midsts of all sounds good to me! I look forward to your hosting next week—Happy hosting Thanksgiving too, thanks!

Marcie Flinchum Atkins said...

I have a hard time with the shorter days this time of year here. I really have tried to appreciate the things that are still amazing--like the trees! Even weeks into the colors changing, my neighborhood still feels ablaze in orange. Most of them are on the ground at this point--the orange-leafed sidewalks are astounding.

Tabatha said...

I sent you gratitude and surprise and I see it didn't make it to you! I think because I included links, it was interpreted as spam. If I can remember/find them, I will try again. xo

Ruth said...

Tabatha, I remember seeing it, and then I don't know what happened to it? Sorry!