Friday, January 26, 2024

Poetry Friday: Golden-winged Warbler

It's early Friday afternoon in Uganda. It's a holiday here (Liberation Day), but I'm hard at work because we just got a new schedule and it's requiring a complete reworking of my thinking. I'm hoping to have a totally free Saturday as a result, though!


Recently the American Birding Association named its Bird of the Year.  Last year was the first time I was even aware that there was such a thing as the ABA Bird of the Year, and I posted about their choice for 2023, the Belted Kingfisher, here.  Liz Clayton Fuller, the illustrator who did the official painting of the bird used on the cover of the ABA magazine, chose to paint the female Belted Kingfisher and she called the result Queenfisher

 

The 2024 bird hasn't caught my imagination yet in quite the same way. It's one I haven't seen before (unlike the Belted Kingfisher). It's lovely, sure, but it has Near Threatened status, so I'm not terribly likely to see it. I may have to be contented just with knowing it exists. (See the photo from eBird, below.) It's the Golden-winged Warbler. (You can read about the bird and see this year's painting, which incorporates both of its habitats, here.)


(Source, eBird.com)


You can see from the photo and tell from the name that the golden color of this bird's wings and head is one of its most striking features. Thinking of gold made me remember how I always used to do a week of color poems with my seventh graders in Haiti, using the classic book Hailstones and Halibut Bones: Adventures in Poetry and Color, by Mary O'Neill. This would always inspire a spate of color poems from my students. I'd start with purple and gold, our school colors. 



 
 
I got this photo of Mary O'Neill's gold poem from Amazon. My favorite lines are on the next page, which isn't pictured, and I don't have a copy of the book here with me in Uganda. But here's the rest of the poem:

 
Gold is the color of
Clover honey
Gold is a certain
Kind of money.
Gold is alive
In a flickering fish
That lives its life
In a crystal dish.
Gold is the answer
To many a wish.
Gold is feeling
Like a king
It’s like having the most
Of everything –
Long time ago
I was told
Yellow’s mother’s name
Is gold…

Mary O’Neill
(from Hailstones and Halibut Bones)



(My favorite lines are the ones about the "flickering fish.")
 
 
I'm so thankful to live in a world full of color! (Or colour, as we spell it here in Uganda, with its British-influenced style of English.) Although I won't see any Golden-winged Warblers here, I do often see another brightly colored bird, and you can see my Birdtober poem about Ross's Turaco here, along with glorious photos (obviously, not taken by me). 


You can see today's Poetry Friday roundup here, along with a great piñata poem and some wonderful piñata stamps. Thanks for hosting, Susan!

16 comments:

Irene Latham said...

Queenfisher! I love that! And yes, I love this world of color, too. So much beauty! xo

Tracey Kiff-Judson said...

What an apt poem for a golden-winged warbler (and golden-crowned)! I love that yellow's mother 's name is gold!

Jane @ www.raincitylibrarian.ca said...

Welcome to the world of unnecessary "u"'s! We're big fans of them here in Canada, where its common behaviour to colour the neighbourhood. ;-)

Patricia Franz said...

I listened on youtube to the song of a Golden-winged Warbler -- and I could hear the WARBLE. So fun! Thank you for sharing it, and for the poetry collection reference. I'm looking at all sorts of these for mentor texts.

Marcie Flinchum Atkins said...

Beautiful! And I adore Hailstones and Halibut Bones. It's such a gem of a book!

Mary Lee said...

There are so many birds and creatures that I, too, "may have to be contented just with knowing it (they) exist(s)."!

Rose Cappelli said...

You took me back to my teaching days with Hailstones and Halibut Bones - such a beautiful text I used often with all ages from kids to adults. Thanks so much for bringing a golden smile to my face this gray morning.

Carol Varsalona said...

If my comment did not go through I tried. This post brought a good deal of memories and enjoyment as I read your various thoughts and wonder-filled fun poem.

Linda B said...

I always love when you share your birds, Ruth. That Turaco is amazing. Hailstones & Halibut Bones also is a book that keeps on being noticed and used for inspiration. "Gold" brings us joy in many ways! What a gift for teachers and writers! I hope you have finished your work and are enjoying all of Saturday!

Susan T. said...

A week of color poems sounds lovely, Ruth! That might even be a fun project for this winter, which has been, well, tiresome in this corner of the northeast US. I cannot wait until the warblers arrive this spring!

Elisabeth said...

What a wonderful theme to explore through poetry! Thanks for sharing this colourful post with us this week!

Linda Mitchell said...

Queenfisher and a "certain kind of money" for the win. Great poem...and a great reminder of a mentor text book that I could read again. Thanks, Ruth.

laurasalas said...

I love that book. Her poems are so evocative. Also, I love open-minded and open-hearted people who are willing to rethink the way they do things. Hope you had yesterday off, Ruth! xo

Janice Scully said...

The turaco! What color! And I love the yellow seen in the king or queenfisher. Thanks for displaying so much color for us to celebrate and for the remarkable poem.

Denise Krebs said...

Ruth, what a lovely post. Queenfisher is a great name for the female kingfisher. I loved using O'Neil's book with my fifth graders, and we wrote color poems too. Yes, to the colors in the world--especially the birds like that Ross's Turaco. Spectacular!

Liz Garton Scanlon said...

This is lovely and yes to color poems!