Tuesday, October 22, 2024

Birdtober Day Twenty-Three: Painted Bunting

Today's bird is another one I have never seen, though I would very much like to. eBird enthuses: "Incomparably beautiful songbird in which adult males are almost too colorful, with a jarring combination of rich blue head, bright red underparts, and lime green back." This description made me think of Edna St. Vincent Millay's line in her poem "God's World": "Lord I do fear/Thou'st made the world too beautiful this year." I wrote an excited poem to go along with all this high praise, and I didn't even edit out the exclamation marks as I usually would - they seemed appropriate for this guy.


Photo Source: eBird.com


Painted Bunting



Too beautiful, too colorful,
Too pretty little bird,
Too blue, too yellow, green, and red,
Too bright, almost absurd!
Painted Bunting, you’re too much!
You really overwhelm!
As though you came down to this tree
From a quite different realm! 


©Ruth Bowen Hersey




No comments: