Monday, October 16, 2006

More on the Madonna Adoption

Here's an article from the Guardian, which includes a quote from David Banda's father. (David Banda is the little boy Madonna wants to adopt. So apparently he isn't even an orphan. His two siblings died of malaria and his mother died in childbirth, and he was living in a children's home.)

This article reports on Madonna's purchase of a $9000 toy for the little boy.

And this one says that Malawian law requires potential adoptive parents to live in the country for 18 months. Now THAT I can't wait to see.

(I spared you the link to Boy George saying Madonna is a vile human being, but should you care to read about it, you can follow the link at the end of that last article. I mean, as long as I'm writing about aging pop stars who were shocking people when I was in high school and apparently are still around!)

This whole story promises to become quite interesting. I just hope this child benefits in the end.

2 comments:

T and T Livesay said...

It is interesting ... and leaves me with mixed feelings. There are plenty of countries with thousands of orphans that WILL allow foreigners to adopt ---- so why the fascination with bucking the system ---- I maybe missed why she has a connection to this one boy?

It feels like a publicity ploy to me --- I don't really get it.

Glad you are blogging again!

Ruth said...

Here's another article with some more information. Apparently Madonna has set up a charity in Malawi and that's why she is interested in this particular country.

I hope everything works out well for this little boy, as I said before.

Thanks! I'm glad to be blogging again too!