Thursday, November 23, 2006

Happy Thanksgiving

I had to work today (half day), and we're going to have our turkey dinner tomorrow. Nevertheless, I thought today about thankfulness.

Of course there are many things I'm thankful for - our generator is fixed, everyone in my little family is healthy, we have somewhere to live and plenty to eat. But really, what I'm most thankful for is the opportunities I've had, purely because of the family I was born into and the country on my passport. Opportunities that I've done nothing to deserve.

When I was born, my feet were bent upwards so that my toes touched my shins. Because I was in a place with good medical care, my parents were instructed in how to exercise my feet until they reached the correct position. I've seen beggars on the street in several countries whose feet could probably have been fixed with similar exercises.

Since I was nine years old, I've worn glasses. If I didn't have them, I'd live in a very blurry world, since I'm extremely myopic. Yet I was able to get the eye care I needed.

We never had lots of money in my family, but we always had plenty of books. I was blessed to be able to go to excellent schools and get a great education. Though I borrowed big-time for college, and only finished paying it back recently, I was able to study what interested me. Most people around the world don't have that opportunity.

Life is sure unfair. I wonder why I got all the breaks, and so many people around the world got none. I don't know why, but I'm very thankful.

No comments: