Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Where Do I Get All the Books?

My brother asked me how I manage to find so many books, living as I do in a place where English books are not readily available in every store?

When we first moved here, this was a big preoccupation of mine - finding stuff to read. When we would go over to someone's house, I would greedily scan the bookshelves and beg to borrow books. When we traveled, I would bring back as many books as I could. I read books from our school library, too, of course.

A big breakthrough was finding the subscription library I belong to. A group of Americans started it back in the 20s and it is still going strong. Now, even though I still borrow books from everyone who will loan them (and in return, I loan my books out freely), I don't panic as much about what I'm going to read next.

Lately, I've finished the following books: Love That Dog, by Sharon Creech, and The Seville Communion, by Arturo Perez-Reverte. (Those are Books #12 and #13 of 2007.)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ruth, you're still on a pace to read over 180 books this year! :^)

Love That Dog sounds intriguing (based on the description and reviews at Amazon). I might just get it from the library for my 9 year old.

Anonymous said...

Well, since this post is an answer to a question, maybe you will allow me to ask you a related question.

I have often wondered how you can read so many books, given that you don't have a normal (steady?) supply of electricity. Do you only read during the day (in daylight)? Or, do you do a lot of late-night reading, too? If so, where do you get your light?

Signed, Curious Person with more electricity than anyone could ever use.

Ruth said...

Tricia, I loved it. And so did my 9 year old. :-)

Matsu, I fear I have made things look worse than they really are. It's true that we don't have electricity around the clock, but we also have an inverter, powered by car batteries. That charges up when we have city power, so we can have lights and fans the rest of the time. We also have a generator for times when we don't get enough city power to charge the batteries. So I usually have lights. I have been known to read by candlelight in the past, though - desperate times call for desperate measures!