Saturday, May 26, 2007

The End is Near

Just one more full week of school, and then a couple of half days, and then we're done. Not that I'm counting, or anything.

The thing I love about teaching is that it's always a challenge, coming up with better ways to handle things, figuring out new stuff to add and how to fit it in. So even though I'm crazed with all the chaos of the end of the year, I'm still making lists of things to work on over the summer, little details that need tweaking, and books I want to buy/borrow. I've been reading The Teacher's Guide to Big Blocks and thinking about how I can incorporate some of it in what I'm already doing. I'm not happy with the way I'm managing writing conferences and I haven't been doing much with reading conferences at all. I want to change some things about the notebooks I have the kids keep. Some of my units need beefing up.

And, of course, I'm looking forward to a real break - nothing to grade for a few weeks! I seriously need an enthusiasm refill, after months of squirrely behavior, endless paperwork, and just plain fatigue.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just discovered your blog, and I love the song by Carolyn Arends--as it happens, we have that CD, but I needed to be reminded of that phrase, "There's no such thing as a God-forsaken town." I'm an MK, now living in a tiny Kansas town, and I sometimes feel "embalmed" here. Thanks for reminding me of God's goodness everywhere

Ruth said...

So YOU'RE the one that has my CD?!

Just kidding. Thanks for visiting my blog - hope you come back again!