Saturday, October 31, 2009

Favorite Podcasts: Sermons

I am something of a connoisseur of sermons, and there are many available as podcasts. Here are some of the ones I've been listening to lately.

The chapels from my alma mater are online. Maybe yours too, if you attended a college with such things as chapels? Try the college website.

So far I like the preaching at Mars Hill Bible Church in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Yeah, that's where Rob Bell pastors. I kept reading about what a heretic he was so I downloaded a bunch of his sermons to see for myself. So far I haven't heard him say anything heretical. (Understand, please - I'm not saying he's never said anything heretical - but in what I have listened to, I have not heard it.) He also has lots of great guest speakers (some of whom may be heretics, for all I know, but I have heard no heresies). Find these on iTunes under Mars Hill Bible Church or go to the church website here. (And here's hoping I put enough disclaimers into this recommendation to absolve me of all blame.)

I love to listen to Andy Stanley speak. You can look for him at iTunes under North Point Ministries, or check out the church website here. And Andy's a guaranteed non-heretical, fully evangelical guy.

3 comments:

Bridget said...

I've read a bunch of Rob Bell and enjoyed it, and I'm just listening to a sermon--the importance of starting at the beginning of the beginning, or something like that. I find it easier to follow than his books sometimes (too many unclear referents...this is always about that)

T and T Livesay said...

rob bell is funny and we enjoy him -- ruth, i know you would love some of greg boyd's stuff too --- I have a three sermon series that is my fave of his on prayer ... i can point you to it if you want. i have no idea how these guys get such rude and unkind labels ... i blame james dobson
;)

Ruth said...

Tara, I listened to one of Greg Boyd's sermons that he preached at Mars Hill and it was great. I have downloaded a few of his but not listened to many yet. Is the series you are talking about on a podcast? What are the titles? Maybe they are with the others on iTunes?

Might as well blame James Dobson, I guess - he's probably used to getting blamed for things!