Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Tuesday

I went to a retreat this weekend and had a great time. I took no work with me at all and just relaxed. While I was there someone asked me about my writing. "You write every day, don't you?" she said.

"Um, no," I said, adding that I would like to be someone who writes every day, but that I'm really not.

But why not? It's clearly just something I have to make time for if it's important to me. Nobody else is going to do it for me.

So, last night I wrote a poem. Actually I didn't even write it from scratch - it was something I had worked on before, and I tinkered with it some more and "finished" it. And then kept getting up every twenty minutes to fix something else about it. I love doing that kind of messing around with a draft, but it takes time and energy that I often don't have after I've spent a couple of hours reading student drafts and responding to them. I am going to keep trying to write - perhaps not every day, but more often than I have been.

I have some students working on short stories this quarter. We have been talking about their main characters. Today I had some useful conferences with kids who have worked out details of plot - mostly gory ones. It is fun to hear their imaginings. One kid told me today that Stephenie Meyer's ideas for the Twilight saga came to her in a dream. Don't we all wish that would happen for us? A dream with all the plot details, and then fame and fortune? Yes, it would sure be nice.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Most of my short stories have come to me in dreams, and I've woken up in the morning with a complete story ready to write itself.

Too frequently, other things distract, and the story goes away before I can get it down. But even when I get it down, it doesn't lead to fame and fortune.

Yet, anyways.

Ruth said...

Do you write down your dreams as soon as you wake up? I took a class once where we had to do that. If I don't write them down immediately I forget them.

I'm sure the fame and fortune will come any day now.

Janet said...

Alas, my dreams are highly surreal and discombobulated phenomena. It never occurs to me to write them down. Maybe that's why I'm not famous yet...?

I'm glad you're going to try to write more!