Friday, September 02, 2011

Poetry Friday: Fireflies and Songs

Another week with nothing posted between Poetry Fridays! This week I have been enjoying Sara Groves' new album, which is available here only - it doesn't really come out until October. Today, I decided to post one of her older songs for my Poetry Friday offering.

Fireflies and Songs
by Sara Groves

thirty years ago I was a little girl
riding in the back seat of the car
a woman sang you don't bring me flowers anymore
I felt a sadness in my little heart

we're looking for the music
in the music box
tearing it to pieces
trying to find a song

I was drawn to you in ways I can't explain
we fought like crazy but I couldn't stay away
piled on expectations and lots of blame
like we couldn't do it any other way

we're looking for a firefly
moving through the night
staring at the one place
swear it never lights

were you surprised our hearts were not like ticking clocks
with faces and hands easy to read
we both wished if only in the land of oz
longed for things we'd never really need

now we're standing in the kitchen
all pretense is gone
you kiss me on the shoulder
fireflies and song


And here she is singing it:



Tricia has the Poetry Friday roundup here, at the Miss Rumphius Effect.

3 comments:

Tabatha said...

Great images, Ruth! "we're looking for the music
in the music box
tearing it to pieces
trying to find a song"
Thanks for sharing it.

Matsu said...

That is really a great song. Thanks for posting it. I had not heard of Sara Groves before you mentioned her music. It's wonderful to discover artists that are so great and yet not in the main stream.

Thanks for the post. Very nice.

T and T Livesay said...

I think you and I could have a "Who loves Sara Groves most?" contest and it would be hard to choose a winner. :) Love.

T.