Friday, September 23, 2011

Poetry Friday: Hold That Thought

It's Friday again! How does that happen so fast?

Today I have an original poem for Poetry Friday. I have been learning a lot lately about the beauty of other people, and appreciating how wonderful family and friendship are. Sometimes I feel guilty for having my focus on my own little world, and protecting myself so much from all of the pain and injustice Out There. I do still care about the World At Large, but so often I find myself shying away from it in this season of my life and focusing on what I feel I can do something about: my family, my friends, my classroom.

Anyway, this is that kind of poem.


Hold That Thought

I'll hold it carefully,
Gently in my hand
Like the most beautiful royal blue marble
You ever won on the playground,
Like the last bite of a chocolate bar.
I'll fold it up and store it away
Like a scrap of cloth of gold
Or the map to El Dorado.
I'll hide it by moonlight
(I'll never tell where).
No one will find it
Even with pickaxes and bloodhounds.
Your thought, my friend, is safe with me.
I'll hold that thought.

by Ruth, from thereisnosuchthingasagodforsakentown.blogspot.com


Today's Poetry Friday roundup is here.

4 comments:

Anastasia Suen said...

Thanks for participating in Poetry Friday this week, Ruth!

:-) Anastasia

GatheringBooks said...

I love the way that you played with the words - capturing a thought, ensnaring it with more words and keeping it for posterity. how lovely. thank you for sharing an original poem this week. warmed my heart. :)

Janet said...

Truly lovely.

Tara said...

So beautiful...