Friday, January 31, 2020

Poetry Friday: Recess Duty Revisited

I surprised myself this semester by volunteering to do recess duty all the time.

Back in 2011, I wrote this grumpy post, mostly about how much I hated and despised recess duty, and how I was trying to redeem it by writing haiku.

Things are a bit different this year. Of course, as with anything, my motives are mixed. If I do recess duty every day, I don't get assigned any other duties, potentially even more onerous. If I do recess duty every day, I don't forget it, because it becomes part of my routine. When I have a random week of it, I often will be late for duty on Monday (or, worst case, miss it entirely) because it just slips my mind. If I do it every day, I am in control of when my kids come to my class, because I alone blow the whistle at the end of the fifteen minutes and shepherd the students back indoors (we have no bells). I'm not waiting in my classroom wondering what's going on when someone else's watch isn't synchronized with mine. (Plus, it sounds as though we had some difficult students back in 2011. My post refers to kids throwing stones! I don't think we have anybody this year who would do that.)

But in addition to these rather mercenary reasons, I also wanted to do recess duty because it is a lot more pleasant to me now. For one thing, I have developed a love of birds, and recess duty gives me a few minutes to scan the trees and the sky for them. For another, I have a camera phone, and can take photos, something else I love to do. Also, the weather is glorious right now - I may regret this a lot more when it starts to warm up in a couple of months. In my fifteen minute recess, I get a little dose of Vitamin D, some serotonin, some fresh air, and some bright pictures. Plus, I have no homeroom this semester. Recess duty is an opportunity to talk to kids in a non-academic setting and find out a little about what's going on with them.

Remembering my recess duty haiku of the past, I decided to share a couple of my recess photos and write haiku based on them. I can't share the best of them - the ones with kids! - but here are some nature-y ones and the words they inspired.

Blue blue blue above
Sky stretching to forever
And back down to me.

Pink shouts in my eyes
Raucous bougainvillea
Bright cacophony.

Chattering sparrows,
Come out and pose for pictures!
You're heard but not seen.

Today's roundup is here. Go visit and see what others have posted for Poetry Friday!

12 comments:

Tabatha said...

Happy for you that you found those pluses in it! You talked a lot about dust and heat in your last haiku ("Dante's lunch duty" is still a great description!). I love the sky stretching and coming back.

jama said...

Let's hear it for recess duty! Awesome that you're now taking photos and writing haiku for them. Of course I swooned over the blues in the first one. :)

Carol Varsalona said...

Ruth, I love the positivity in your voice. You have turned around recess duty to make it something that is not only a social encounter with children but an opportunity to notice, wonder, and write. It must be a wonderful feeling to be outside again after having to remain indoors for days. I send happy thoughts to you and will see you next Thursday for SJT.

Linda B said...

Hard to say no to "pink" and "blue", Ruth. I loved recess duty, being outside & visiting with students who didn't want to run like the wild ones! Your reasons about that being the only duty, too, easy to remember, feel reasonable, too! Enjoy!

Kay said...

Gorgeous photos and poems! I love how you find the opportunity for joy and connection in a duty many teachers dread.

Janet said...

I love this. Isn't it weird (and wonderful) how our feelings can change?

Linda Mitchell said...

Ha! Your recess duty....my breakfast duty. I'm not a fan of duty. But, I am glad to have a chance to chat with the kids that do want to talk and help be a positive presence. I supposed it's all how I/we see duty...a sentence or an opportunity. I wish I could see birds!

Andromeda Jazmon said...

I used to enjoy recess duty too, even when it was below zero. Now I am a college librarian and don't have many excuses to go outside and take pictures (still looking for them, of course!) I love your haiku about sparrows. Reminds me of some of Issa's.

Karen Eastlund said...

Lovely to hear this... Thanks for the haikus.... blue, blue, blue stretching up... I always loved playground duty.

Margaret Simon said...

I love that raucous bougainvillea! I am with you on the duty thing. Everyday I have carline duty. I don't mind it much because I get to see kids going home, greeting parents with joy. I also talk with colleagues. I've actually been taking a walk outside at recess and now will remember to take my notebook with me to capture haiku. Thanks for your inspiring post.

Mary Lee said...

Your recess duty reasons crack me up. Wouldn't I love to be able to teach with you someday!!!

Thanks for the blue skies and the bougainvillea. All we've got right now is grey and rain...and indoor recess -- UGH!!

Jone said...

I really like the last haiku and those shy birds. What beautiful photos. The bougainvillea is stunning!