Friday, February 21, 2020

Poetry Friday: Warblers

Last Saturday I was sitting on my porch watching birds through my binoculars, taking part in the Great Backyard Bird Count. The calabash tree in the neighbors' yard was full of bananaquits, and I was having fun watching them, as they hung upside down on the branches. And there were some Antillean mango hummingbirds. But there were other birds too, birds I couldn't identify. I knew they were warblers, but which warblers? Here are the possibilities in my area:
See what I mean? So many of them are similar, just different combinations of grey and yellow. I texted my brother the birder, saying, "Enjoying the birds even if I don't know what they are." (The warbler photos are from the Cornell Lab's free birding app, Merlin. You should download it right away if you don't have it yet.)

He sent me a voice message in response, and I listened to it and then played it for my husband and then transcribed it. I loved the way his words turned my cluelessness into almost a mystical experience. Here's what he said: “The thing with warbler songs is that because of the register that they’re in, you don’t realize that you’re hearing them at all until you get your ear tuned into them. They’re so high-pitched and kind of airy that sometimes you don’t even know that you’re hearing a bird. But once you get tuned into them, you can hear them, and that is diagnostic, because they’re all very different from each other. You can identify them with their song without ever seeing them at all. So on your app you should find the warblers that appear there and see if you can listen to their songs and then see if you can hear them. Once you get tuned into them, you’re likely to hear them a lot, I’m guessing, at this time of year.”

I turned his words into a poem.

A Field Guide to Warblers

These birds you cannot see or hear
Are everywhere this time of year.
Visitors from further north
Flitting softly back and forth
In the branches of the trees.
Was that a bird, or just a breeze?
Little birds you cannot see,
Known for invisibility.
Glimpsed for a moment, then they’ve flown.
Which one was that? Answer: unknown.
Voices that you cannot hear
Until you’ve learned to tune your ear.
Each has a voice, quiet and mellow.
Lots are a mix of grey and yellow.
You may think they’re all the same,
But each, unique, has its own name.
The zebra stripey black and white,
A mix of shadow and of light,
Is easy to identify,
But for the rest, just try and try.
The birds you do not know are there
Are singing, silent in the air.
Listen, look, don’t move a muscle,
Do you hear the branches rustle?
These birds you cannot see or hear
Are everywhere this time of year.

Ruth, from thereisnosuchthingasagodforsakentown.blogspot.com

Cheriee has today's roundup.

10 comments:

jama said...

Fantastic poem, Ruth. LOVE that you used your brother's words for inspiration, and love that you're participating in the Bird Count!

Linda B said...

It's wonderful and loving that you wrote your brother's words into a poem, Ruth. I love the advice. I do love birding, and maybe I am missing some of those 'tunes'. I certainly do not have the breadth of them you do, but I do see movement in the trees. Thanks for the app to download. All the birds are so pretty, but I would love to see a Northern Parula!

Cheriee Weichel said...

Oh just wow! Like you, I enjoy the birds and know there are many species, but other than the most distinct (quail, crow, seagull, robin, stellar's jay, and a few others) I have no idea what they are. I am fascinated by your brother's knowledge. What a treasure he is.
I love these lines in your poem,
The birds you do not know are there
Are singing, silent in the air.
Now I'm off to download that app!

Michelle Heidenrich Barnes said...

How fascinating and mysterious at the same time! Proof, also, that inspiration can come from anywhere Thanks for teaching me something new about warblers. :)

Kay said...

This is beautiful! I love how you turned your brother's words into this poem. We are lucky to be surrounded by birds, but I'm not much at identifying by sight or sound. I'll have to check out the app from Cornell. I do recognize (by sight and sound) the sand hill cranes that are flying overhead now.

Karen Edmisten said...

Oh, I LOVE this! Love everything about it, Ruth.
I always have to turn to my husband to identify bird songs, I'm terrible at it. (I'll be looking up that app.) :)
Thanks for this lovely bit of bird-shine in February!

Tara said...

So interesting to learn of warblers and their song, Ruth. Gorgeous poem, too, and I love these lines:
Voices that you cannot hear
Until you’ve learned to tune your ear.

Karen Eastlund said...

Ruth: Wonderful post! Love the poem, love the birding. I have birder friends who once took me to a spot they know to see tiny yellow warblers that almost crawled around on the trees. I never would have seen them without coaching. Also... the songs that we miss because our ears aren't tuned to them! The world is endlessly fascinating.

author amok said...

How wonderful that you turned this experience into the poem. The musicality of your words matches the birdsong. We have been busy watching a family of woodpeckers that visits the backyard at our new house. Funny to watch them hanging upside down to enjoy the suet.

michelle kogan said...

Wonderful poem Ruth, I love the ID'ing them by tuning in your ear. So nice the two of you share that interest in birds too! What fun to have such a plethora of birds to identify. What I came up with last week on the bird count was a mere fraction in comparison: house wrens, house sparrows, mourning doves, starlings. The more colorful one's come out as the weather warms. I use both Merlin Bird ID, and eBird, thanks.