Thursday, March 31, 2022

Poetry Friday: NPM Day 1

For the last three years, I've posted daily during National Poetry Month. Looking back at my first post from 2019, 2020, and 2021, I see that every year I resist promising daily posts, saying that I probably won't manage, but each of those years, I have. (Other years I have posted daily, too, even if it was just to link to the Progressive Poem line of the day.) My theme was cleaning up open poetic tabs (posting about them, so I can close them), and sure enough, I have a bunch of tabs this year as well. Once again I feel obliged to manage my own expectations: I may not get around to posting every day, what with moving into a new place this weekend, adjusting to a new job, teaching everybody in our school from Pre-K through eighth grade, learning Spanish, and other assorted whatnot. (Will I even have internet every day in my new apartment? Stay tuned!)


Last year I chose a Haitian broom as my picture to symbolize my spring-cleaning ambitions, and this year I have a photo of a box. It's a box of things that got broken during their trip here. We put the shards in the box prior to throwing them away, and I snapped a photo because it seemed like a metaphor, all those broken bits that traveled so far only to get tossed. Not pictured: the great majority of the things we brought, which did not get broken, and which continue to be beautiful and useful in their new setting. It's all fragile, though; it's all perishable. Moving to a new country reminds you of that. So if I have a theme this year, it's Shards. Little broken bits, swept up and displayed. Maybe they'll then be thrown away, and maybe they'll be turned into something new. Who knows?


So I'm starting this year with a poem I wrote and posted back in 2017. Here's the original post, where I explain how it came to be. And here's the poem:



How to Mend a Broken Vase

 

First, gather up the shards.
Don’t forget that the shattering sent them in all directions;
There’s one, under the fridge,
And over there is another.
You’ll probably be finding pieces for quite a while.

Once you have them all picked up,
Put them in a pile,
And stare at them.

Think about whatever possessed you
To pick up that vase full of dead flowers
With butter on your hands
And scold yourself roundly.

When you’re ready, get to work with the glue.
Make a smeary mess.
Peel glue off your fingers and try again.
Cut yourself on pieces of glass,
Drop some on the ground and step on them,
Generally fail to mend the broken vase.

Give up.

Leave the pile where it is
And get irritated with it every time you see it.

Start enjoying the way the slivers of glass
Shine and sparkle as the light hits them.
Think about what you could add
To make a mosaic.

If, by chance,
It is your heart instead of a vase that you have carelessly
Allowed to get broken,
The same procedure will work.

 

©Ruth Bowen Hersey

 

The incomparable Heidi is hosting today. Maybe I'll even make it to everybody's post this week, unlike most weeks lately! We'll see!


11 comments:

Linda B said...

Ruth, your life's journey shown in your poems never fail to make me think, to look at life differently. I've been worried over a family member who is fighting a cancer diagnosis & this day, a fool's day, they just got some 'better' news. It's not over, but better, like your revision for that vase. Thank you, & best wishes in the new home & for the internet!

mbhmaine said...

I love the shift in your poem from broken to possibile. I also love reading snippets about all your adventures and getting a glimpse into your new location. Good luck with the move!

Michelle Kogan said...

I really like the ending twist in your poem, when the glass starts to "shine and sparkle," and how we can mend a broken heart with this new perspective too. Hope the unpacking moves along and the internet cosmos decides to cooperate, thanks!

Janice Scully said...

I too love the shift from the vase to the mending of a heart and also the idea of dealing with what it is you have and seeing the beauty in it. Happy NPM!

Mary Lee said...

Oh how I love that ending! Such big truth.

Linda Mitchell said...

Such a metaphor. Wow, Ruth. I love that your poem is really about mending a heart. Just beautiful. Enjoy April!

Catherine Flynn said...

Ruth, your instructions for vase-mending could apply to so much of life. Like others have said, the ending is perfect. Good luck settling into your new home!

Michelle Heidenrich Barnes said...

Happy Poetry Month, Ruth. I think this is the first opportunity I've had to welcome you to your new home. WELCOME! I'm loving your theme, Shards—little broken bits that may or may not become something else. Life in a nutshell. You're poem is wonderful. I look forward to seeing the light glimmer on other fragments of yours this month!

Heidi Mordhorst said...

I REALLY want to see inside that box. Your older poem is a great riff on the kintsugi mending pottery with gold AND "the cracks are where the light gets in." It's a message that needs repeating in so many ways for so many people in so many places.

Christie Wyman said...

A gorgeous how-to poem, Ruth. And with so many meanings. Wishing you calm, peace, and serenity.

Patricia Franz said...

ahh... making a mosaic of broken shards...yes
Thank you for this wisdom.