Thursday, February 01, 2024

Poetry Friday: Herons

Last Poetry Friday, as I mentioned in my post last week, was a holiday. I didn't really take the day off -- I worked almost all day -- but that meant that I had time on Saturday to read all the Poetry Friday posts. I tried to comment on all of them, too, but an inordinate number of my comments disappeared into the ether. Maybe some of them were just awaiting comment moderation. I hope so. In any case, if your post didn't get a comment from me, please don't be offended. I tried.


I recently discovered this poem about the Great Blue Heron, "Great Blue Heron," by T. Alan Broughton.


Here's a bit from the middle: 


Today the bird stays with me, as if I am moving through
the heron’s dream to share his sky or water—places
he will rise into on slow flapping wings or where
his long bill darts to catch unwary frogs.
 
 
And here's another line I love:
 
 
I only know this bird by a name we’ve wrapped him in,
 
 

 

After reading the poem, I went through my life list to see how many different kinds of herons I've seen. Fifteen! That's just amazing and makes me feel wealthy beyond imagining! (eBird lists 45 heron species in the world. Further research reveals that egrets and bitterns are also herons and if you include all of those, there are 72 species. But I'm sticking with my original 45, which is just the ones with heron in their common name. And out of that bunch, I've seen a third of them!) 

 

I'll share my list of the herons I've seen at the end of this post. But before that, here are some heron poems about some of my sightings. After all, as Broughton says, we only know these birds by the names we've wrapped them in.

 

I've only seen Black Herons once, on a boat ride in December. They're not as common as the other kinds we have here in Uganda. They are known for their umbrella style of hunting, which you can see in the video, where it's speculated that hunching their wings in an umbrella shape reduces the reflections and helps them see what could be on the menu for them.

 


 

Black Heron

 

Rainy morning.
Abandoned black umbrella
hunts menacingly in the hallway.
Sorry - no fish here.

 

©Ruth Bowen Hersey

 

I have Rufescent Tiger-Herons on seven checklists.  They live throughout much of South America. It's the juveniles that are the stripiest (see the picture), though the adults do have some stripes also.


 
Juvenile Rufescent Tiger-Heron

Photo Source: Wikipedia


Rufescent Tiger-Heron


Tiger-Heron so Rufescent,
I find your diet far from pleasant.
Your dragonflies I won’t be stealing:
To me they sound quite unappealing.

But I do like your stripy feathers,
The way you hunt in all the weathers,
Your strident bullfrog voice so loud,
Your reddish coloring so proud,
Tiger-Heron so Rufescent
I find you immensely pleasant.

©Ruth Bowen Hersey

 


I have Great Blue Herons on twenty-seven checklists. Birders talk about "spark birds," the ones that make you start being interested in birding, and the Great Blue Heron is one of mine. I found out in 2018 about a GBH fitted with a transmitter that informed scientists she was wintering in Haiti. I wrote two poems about her: Nokomis, the Great Blue Heron, Winters in Haiti in 2018 and Requiem for Nokomis when she stopped transmitting in 2021. I also wrote this poem about a GBH my son watched in Massachusetts.


Cellphone photo of GBH I saw in Georgia last summer





Here's my life list of herons, from the most recent to the longest ago:


Black Heron

Purple Heron

Squacco Heron

Black-headed Heron

Gray Heron

Cocoi Heron

Rufescent Tiger-Heron

Green Heron

Yellow-crowned Night Heron

Black-crowned Night Heron

Tricolored Heron

Little Blue Heron

Striated Heron

Whistling Heron

Great Blue Heron

 

 

Mary Lee has this week's roundup.

 

 


15 comments:

Sally Murphy said...

Ruth thank you for this insight into herons - who knew there were so many types. And i loved all three poems. How clever to find a rhyme for Rufescent, which I had to go and look up. I love a new word! Thanks again.

KatApel - katswhiskers.wordpress.com said...

I'm glad you mentioned about last week's comments, Ruth - because I just went and found you in my Spam! What a wonderful heron reflection blog. That black heron is singular. Such a refined (and clever) technique. Great humour in your poem.

Speaking of birds. I wanted to share this poem with you. I'm not sure if you saw it when I posted it - but every time I see it, I am reminded of you. https://katswhiskers.wordpress.com/2023/02/10/feathers-and-wings

Jone MacCulloch said...

I love watching the GBH. To me, they are quite the posers when I have my camera near. I love the turn in the Black Heron poems

Denise Krebs said...

What a delicious heron-y post, Ruth! There is so much beauty here. I always learn so much from you. Today I realized how nice it is that you are a birder and have lived on so many different continents. That stripey baby tiger heron is the cutest!

Tracey Kiff-Judson said...

Blue Herons are fascinating: so lanky and shy! Thank you for sharing that lovely poem. Who knew there were so many different varieties of herons! I think I have seen maybe two, but now I am on the lookout!

Patricia Franz said...

Gosh, I had no idea there were so many herons, Ruth. I see white herons all the time in the delta and sloughs and flooded washes - even here in AZ. But the one that remains in my dreams appeared the day we said goodbye to our dog. She use to lunge at the heron by the pond. And through my tears, when we returned home without her, there was the heron. Not by the pond. But in our tree in our front yard.

Marcie Flinchum Atkins said...

I didn't realize there were so many different types of herons. And that tiger heron--wow!

Mary Lee said...

"Swimming into the dark may be a fish's last decision."

FASCINATING. I had NO idea there were so many herons and kudos to you for having so many on your life list!

I love to watch GBHs fly -- so distinct with those long legs stretched out back!

jama said...

I've only seen a GBH once, and no others. How lucky you are to have seen so many different kinds. The Black Heron video was fascinating. Who knew?

mbhmaine said...

I adore herons and had no idea there were so many of them! I also adored your tiger heron poem. It's delightful! I love the line you shared from Broughton's poem, "I only know this bird by a name we’ve wrapped him in" and I've had similar thoughts--one of which inspired a poem about a black-crowned night heron that will be published, along with its photo, in Carol Labuzzeta's upcoming anthology.

laurasalas said...

Wow, 15 kinds of herons! And that umbrella hunting. It's so human, shading your eyes as you look into the water. Thank you, Ruth, for the poem and the video!

Elisabeth said...

Oh those black herons are fascinating - how wonderful that you've actually been able to see one in real life! I enjoyed your poems. The Rufescent Tiger-Heron one is such a fun read - what a great poem to use to introduce children to this bird!

Karen Eastlund said...

Ruth: My comments have been disappearing lately also, so I know your frustration. I wrote a GBH poem just last week. I see them regularly, and have also seen a couple other kinds of herons, but my list pales next to yours. Thanks for your poems and videos and all things avian.

Susan T. said...

I love that blue heron poem, Ruth. And yours! It would be amazing to see the Rufescent. I'm so impressed at your Heron List.

Karen Edmisten said...

Absolutely worth the click-through, Ruth! I loved your heron-inspired poem too. :)