Saturday, June 14, 2008

A Different Kind of Saturday

We spent this Saturday on the road. It feels good to have a change from our usual life, to see new scenery and talk to different people about different things. It's easy to get so wrapped up in what's happening in our little corner of the world that we forget there's more out there. Someone asked if I'm experiencing culture shock and I answered that I handle it by compartmentalizing - I reason that this place and that place are on two different planets. I find I have to give myself a break from pondering the reasons for poverty and the connections between the crazy abundance I see here and the lack of basic necessities most people experience there. I'll think about all that another day.

Here's today's Saturday Review of Books.

No comments: