Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Flooding

When you saw that title, you probably thought of the Midwest, and yes, that flooding is horrible. I've been watching the coverage and reading about the dangers of the waters. People are suffering.

But I was listening to a podcast this morning and I found out about some other flooding I hadn't heard of. (The podcast, by the way, was Africa Today, from the BBC - Monday's edition. I learn about many situations on this program that I wouldn't know about otherwise.) Apparently people in Somalia who are already in displaced person camps are now facing flooding after three years of drought. Two and a half million people are displaced inside Somalia. Here's an article about this situation. This isn't on the scale of the flooding in the United States, but the people in Somalia have much less to lose and have already been dealing with crisis after crisis for years. And they don't have enough to eat. Here's a more comprehensive article about the many problems facing Somalia.

1 comment:

theorivas said...

Wow, Ruth, I cannot imagine life in Somalia. I had read, farily recently, that the country is without a government. How does that work? What chaos. I am going to check out that Africa podcast, too.

Thanks for posting.