Friday, July 04, 2008

Glorious Fourth



Rain on a parade is a metaphor for disappointment, but in spite of the rainy weather we had a great morning celebrating the Fourth of July.

Today I have thought often of an episode of Speaking of Faith called Surviving the Religion of Mao. Here's a quote from the interview with Anchee Min (I really recommend reading the whole transcript):

Ms. Min: You asked me how I changed. I think coming to America plays a big part. If I were in China, I would die in confusion because this problem that's the mental knot. I couldn't unknot it, and I couldn't do anything about it. And I was too close, I didn't have a perspective, couldn't see. So coming to America, I think, what the moments that struck me was that, you know, my daughter was in the nursery school. First thing she was taught was love. And then she would, you know, come home and say, ‘Everybody's different, but everybody's perfect.’ Things like that. You know, it moves me.

And also the incredible moment I share with other immigrants and the day that we accepted as American citizens in the big hall in LA with 40,000 people, which is so ridiculous. You know, it was like we're all prepared, you know, different languages, struggle, try to get the English right. When the music comes on, "Oh, say" — we all couldn't finish the first sentence, just broke down crying. And we laugh, smiling and crying and looking at each other. We know what it's like to be American. It was to be allowed to be human, to be ourselves. You know, moments like this. And also, you don't want me to go on with all these, you know…

Ms. Tippett: No, it’s fine. Go on.

Ms. Min: …great things about I feel that I am more Chinese in America than I could feel if I was in China. You know, the moment I step on my motherland in China, my guard will be up. I talk differently, behave differently.

Ms. Tippett: So how can you be more Chinese here? Just because you can be yourself, and yourself is Chinese?

Ms. Min: Mm-hmm.


That's one of the things it means to me to be American. At its best, the United States is a country that takes in people from around the world and gives them the freedom to be who they are.

Happy Fourth! Here's hoping it clears up for the fireworks tonight!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

That's the thing about America that's hard to define when I'm speaking to non-Americans who think of the U.S. as imperialistic and self-serving. As you well know, living out of the U.S. helps Americans better appreciate both its flaws and its merits. What you're talking about is perhaps its greatest merit, and one of the reasons I get weary of Americans who have never lived abroad speaking of the U.S. as though it were the evil empire.

Anonymous said...

This brings tears to my eyes. Thanks for pointing me to it... I'll try and read the whole transcript later.

Jessica Stock said...

Thanks for this, Ruth. I enjoyed the 4th much more after reading this.