Monday, August 18, 2008

Breaking Dawn



Book #42
of this year was Breaking Dawn, by Stephenie Meyer.

"Charlie, you don't live in the world you thought you lived in. The good news is, nothing has changed - except that now you know. Life'll go on the same way it always has. You can go right back to pretending that you don't believe any of this."


It's hard to know what to write about a book like this without giving anything away. I'll just say that I enjoyed the book immensely and felt it ended the series in a satisfying way. However, I don't know that it is really a book that I'd encourage a middle schooler to read. I feel similarly about the way this series went as I do about the Traveling Pants books. Of course, an author is under no obligation to keep a series at a middle school level, and I'm not suggesting there is anything inappropriate or overly graphic in this book. It's just that with its focus on marriage I don't know that it is going to interest them as much as the previous books. (And even by saying that, I may be giving away too much. Sorry, sorry! No more spoilers!) We'll see.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Trust me, you didn't give anything away! But you have made me very curious...

Ruth said...

Heh, yeah, I guess I was so vague as to say nothing at all. Suffice it to say that this is a series of teenage vampire/werewolf books. Not at all the kind of thing I thought I would enjoy, but a student recommended them and I was quickly hooked. Now Stephenie Meyer is a rockstar author with hordes of teenagers who show up to scream wherever she goes. They are reading her books en masse. The first movie is coming out soon, too.