Friday, September 14, 2018

Poetry Friday: Hurricane, Again

Problems with Hurricanes
Victor Hernández Cruz

A campesino looked at the air
And told me:
With hurricanes it's not the wind
or the noise or the water.
I'll tell you he said:
it's the mangoes, avocados
Green plantains and bananas
flying into town like projectiles.

Here the rest of the poem (including a killer last line), written by a poet from Puerto Rico, where they know about hurricanes.  This particular hurricane isn't threatening us, and let's hope we can say that about all the hurricanes this whole season, but we do pray for those in its path, having been in that place many times ourselves.  I shared this poem back in 2012, when I believe the storm in question was Sandy, but I've also written here about Irma and Isaac and Matthew and countless others.

Stay safe and dry, everyone.

Amy has the roundup today.

11 comments:

Sally Murphy said...

Beware of mangoes indeed. I find myself in the path of a super typhoon due to hit Hanoi on Monday. First though it is going to lash the poor Philippines.

Linda B said...

It is hard to imagine being hit by "beautiful/sweet things". Knowing a hurricane is coming must be a scary time. I'm hoping that everyone will be okay. Thanks for this poem, Ruth.

Matt Forrest Esenwine said...

Funny and emotionally powerful, Ruth - there's a lot of truth in this poem. Thanks for sharing.

jama said...

I like the humor and irony of this poem. Thanks for sharing!

Robyn Hood Black said...

I also love those ending lines! We are away from home, as we didn't trust Florence's path, but it looks like plans are for school and life to resume as normal come Monday for our little corner of the coast. That won't be the case for so many just a short stretch up the road from us. Prayers for all, including Sally and others facing threats from other oceans. Thanks for sharing, Ruth.

Michelle Schaub said...

Love the humor of this poem. I can relate, having had to dodge dropping avocados when I lived in Samoa- they're delicious, but treacherous.

Michelle Kogan said...

What a twist this poem offers with it's ironic humor, it packs a wallop as these flying projectiles would, thanks Ruth.

Margaret Simon said...

The trouble with hurricanes is they play havoc with all of nature. We've had too many in S Louisiana and know how dangerous they can be. What gets me is how much death and destruction is caused by human error (Hurricane Katrina, for example.)

Brenda at FriendlyFairyTales said...

I like the dark humor of it, the longing for a dignified end. Such a bittersweet poem with lovely last two lines.

Kay said...

Thank you for sharing this hurricane poem. I needed its dark humor as I sit in Indiana and worry for friends and family back in my home state of NC. So many people have been devastated by the wind and water--if not mangoes, they may have had to dodge some projectile pecans.

Amy LV said...

Something about the wisdom and humor and fear in this poem stirs me up. Like a hurricane, I guess. I remember reading somewhere once that a strong piece of writing is often able to hold more than one powerful emotion at once. I feel this here. Thank you. I am copying this one down. Stay well. xxxx