Friday, November 02, 2018

Poetry Friday: The Meaning of Life

Last week I was texting with a friend who had had a bad teaching day. It happens. I'd had a not-so-good week myself. We compared notes, and in the course of our conversation, she said that she was feeling grumpy and wondering about the meaning of life. I sent her this photo and wrote, "The meaning of life is rain-soaked bougainvillea."
I had run home that day during my free period because I had forgotten my Kindle and I needed it for class. It was a muddy day, and I was in the middle of a yucky week. And when I saw this, it made everything better.

I know, I know, there's more to life than rain-soaked bougainvillea. There's an election next week, for example, and we are grown-ups with serious issues to deal with. And yet...just look at that. For that moment when I turned my camera on all that beauty, the world seemed like a place where everything was how it was supposed to be.

I thought about it, then added a few more syllables and made a haiku. (I know you don't have to stick to the 17 syllable thing, but I did anyway.)

Roadside flash, hot-pink
Rain-soaked bougainvillea
The meaning of life

I'm thankful for the beautiful moments in even the hardest days. They make it easier to turn back to the challenges with a fresh perspective.

Jama has this week's roundup.

11 comments:

jama said...

What a blessing to happen upon a flash of beauty to brighten up a difficult day. Lovely poem and photo, Ruth!

Irene Latham said...

Dear Ruth: The meaning of life IS rain-soaked bougainvillea! I love it, and the pic, and haiku, and that you would offer this to a friend... and to us. Thank you! xo

Tabatha said...

Thank goodness for these moments of everything being just right!
I put up our "Thanksgiving tree" yesterday. We write what we are thankful for on paper leaves and stick them on. Among other things, I included "wet dog noses." It's the little things...

Linda B said...

I count on those moments every day, Ruth, and love that you found this "rain-soaked bougainvillea" when you needed it. Those small things are what I wish for everyone.

Michelle Heidenrich Barnes said...

You're so right, Ruth. The meaning of life is the collection of moments worth capturing.

Carol Varsalona said...

With positivity in mind, you created an image and a haiku to remind us that nature brings joy to the world no matter how rain-soaked it is. Thanks, Ruth. Would you be interested in pairing the two together to create an image poem for my Abundant Autumn Gallery? It will present a different shade of autumn for others to see.

Joyce Ray said...

Ruth, I think the meaning of life is one friend reaching out to another AND rain-soaked bougainvillea! Lovely poem and photo and a reminder to look for the surprise around the corner. Thank you!

Michelle Kogan said...

Thank god for wonderful bits of nature like your "Rain-soaked bougainvillea" that we can take momentary refuge in and forget about the world, if just for a moment. Beautiful haiku, thanks Ruth!

Buffy Silverman said...

Yep, I agree-taking time to focus on those beautiful moments is the best way to restore sanity. Thanks for sharing yours!

Molly Hogan said...

Ruth, this is beautiful. Your post reminds me of Mary Oliver -- "Every Day I see or hear something that more or less kills me with delight..." and of Wendell Berry "For a time/ I rest in the grace of the world, and am free." I was stunned by the beauty of the evening sky tonight and was trying to express this to my husband--The intense and overwhelming joy I find in the beauty that surrounds us. Your poem did so much more eloquently than I was able to. Thank you.

JoAnn Early Macken said...

Yes, I love those stop-and-smell-the-roses moments. You've captured the feeling perfectly.