Thursday, January 17, 2019

Poetry Friday: Goodbye to Mary Oliver

I imagine a lot of Poetry Friday posts tomorrow are going to be about Mary Oliver, who died today at the age of 83. I was sad to see the news, and today in her honor I want to post links to her poems that I have shared before.

In March 2017 I shared "A Box Full of Darkness" and then the following week I shared my response to her poem.

I shared "The Summer Day" back in July of 2011, with this photo taken by a friend and some observations on how taking pictures helps me pay attention.

In September 2014 I shared "Lead."

In July 2012 I shared "How Would You Live Then?"

We'll miss you, Mary Oliver. We'll try to live the way you wrote.

This week's roundup is here.

9 comments:

Jone said...

Mary Oliver was Such a force. I love her work. Thank you for sharing your previous posts with us. It’s lovely to see the tributes in our PF world.

Tabatha said...

It's not a goodbye when she is so very present with us. Thanks for revisiting these posts, Ruth. I still love your box of darkness poem.

jama said...

Thanks for the links to past sharings of Oliver's work. I'm enjoying all the PF tributes. She taught us not only how to appreciate the natural world, but how to live in this world. How many can claim that distinction?

laurasalas said...

I will miss her, too. So glad she left so much beauty behind for us!

Tara said...

Oliver left us her glorious poetry - a blessing and a reminder to pay attention.

Linda B said...

The first are familiar, but "How Would You Live Then?" is new, Ruth. It kind of includes many of her other words, doesn't it, imagining what could be IF we only watch and pay attention? Thanks for sharing so much!

Whispers from the Ridge said...

Thank you for sharing these, Ruth! I plan on curling up with her books all weekend long. I always feel comforted by her words.

Mary Lee said...

She is clearly the teacher we need -- her words resonate so deeply.

Thank you for sharing your links!

Kay said...

Mary Oliver was such an inspiration. I am thankful she shared so much of her wisdom with us and that we can still treasure her poetry. She will continue to inspire for years to come.