Thursday, December 03, 2020

Poetry Friday: Porch

I wrote this poem for my husband, and with his permission I am sharing it with you, too.

 

Porch

Surprised by rain,
we scrambled for shelter.
The three of us collapsed
onto a wide midwestern porch,
leaving our bicycles behind on the grass.
We must have asked permission
from people in the house,
but I don’t remember that,
just how we lay back on the wooden floor,
heads on our helmets,
watching the rain fall and talking,
and then,
how all three of us fell asleep.

Now only two of us who were there
that afternoon thirty years ago
are still alive to remember,
since the third left this year,
not on his bicycle,
but still away,
past where we can follow him,
at least for now.

Perhaps some day only one
will carry this memory,
the exhaustion of our day of cycling,
that lulled us to sleep,
along with sound of the summer shower
that afternoon in Illinois,
the way the rain washed the steam from the air,
our voices, quiet and then gone,
and then the waking up,
getting back on the bicycles,
leaving behind that spot
where we’d likely never be again.

Each year we celebrate
accumulating more and more of these memories,
moments with others,
or moments only you and I know.
Another year of pedaling down the wet road,
legs working hard,
but refreshed after a nap,
leaving that porch
further and further behind,
until we can’t see it any more,
and it becomes part of our past.

Ruth, from thereisnosuchthingasagodforsakentown.blogspot.com


Mary Lee at A Year of Reading has today's roundup.

14 comments:

Irene Latham said...

Oh another year of pedaling... I Love this glimpse into the companionship and sharing of marriage... we realized we will celebrate our 30th in just a few months... your poem reminds me of all I am most grateful for. xo

Linda B said...

There are such times when there is only a few, then less, which you captured beautifully, Ruth, We are all creating our books, aren't we? I'm glad you share some of them with us.

Bridget Magee said...

Thank you, Ruth, and your husband, for sharing this intimate portrait of that moment in time 30 years ago and your marriage today. Beautiful both. :)

MSheehan said...

Thank you for sharing! I really like the idea of moving forward and moments becoming memories.

jama said...

LOVE this poem (one of my all-time faves of yours!). The narrative, the sentiment, the love, the nostalgia, the reflection. Wonderful details and I'm right there with you guys on the porch during that rainstorm.

Carol Varsalona said...

Ruth, time goes by and strong memories like this one remain. I am glad that your husband allowed you to share this personal poem. Companionship, love, and nature circles around this event and continues to populate your memory bank. Scrapbook in time...

Janice Scully said...

Ruth, this is such a lovely poem, a meditation for me on time, memory and loss of loved ones. It really touched me. Thank you for sharing it.

Linda Mitchell said...

Ruth, this is really lovely...and, it's so sad to think of fewer and fewer carrying such beautiful memories. I can't think of a better poem to give to my spouse. Well done.

Carol Labuzzetta said...

Ruth, This is a lovely, touching poem. How true that memories become less and less, not only from the passage of time but from the passing of the people who participated in creating them. You've inspired me to think more about this. My husband and I share a long past....approaching 40 years now, starting with our time together in college. Many memories, like yours, that only the two of us know. Thanks for sharing your poem.

Alan j Wright said...

Ruth, I enjoyed your poem of adventure and experience launched from a porch. As memory carriers we have a true responsibility to record and share...

Mary Lee said...

I love this poem so much.

The cycling...both literal and figurative.

This: "leaving behind that spot
where we’d likely never be again."

The ways memory and love are recursive.

laurasalas said...

Ruth, this feels both so personal and so universal, and you have me thinking deeply about memories and loss and love. Thank you...

Kimberly Hutmacher said...

Such a lovely poem, Ruth. These kinds of memories are such a gift and a comfort, and you've captured your memory beautifully.

Linda said...

Such a touching, heartfelt poem, Ruth. When I think back on the last thirty years of my own life, I've lost many people I love. I'm so thankful I still have my memories of them to hold on to. xo