Tuesday, December 15, 2020

Slice of Life Tuesday: Purple Flower


Every day when I arrive at work, right after I get my temperature taken and right before I turn my masked face towards my classroom, I see the Mexican petunias. They're not a fancy flower, and in fact in some places they are considered an invasive weed. But I love the crayon-bright purple of their petals. I've taken so many pictures of them, just because of the jolt of happiness they give me in that moment. They are wearing the liturgical color of the season, and surely even without Christmas visitors or crowded parties, their hopeful promise will be fulfilled.


Morning flower face

Bright in the grey parking lot

Purple for Advent




4 comments:

Jill Bless said...

Love your description! Finding joy in the little things will keep us going.

Stacey Shubitz said...

I can’t imagine considering that beauty of a flower a weed. It’s gorgeous, as is your description of it. :)

Fran Haley said...

Makes me think of the morning glories, which grow wild at the edge of a field at the end of my street - they wilt every night and are back again, open-throated and brilliant, greeting every new morning. I cherish the sight and the symbolism - oh yes, how that bright purple silently speaks to the season. Lovely, Ruth.

Linda Stoll said...

And the purple flower is amazingly regal and eye-catching, Ruth. So good to meet you this week!