Thursday, March 18, 2021

Poetry Friday: A Little Nest of Bird Poems

I have a tiny collection to share today, three bird poems that I've read over the past few days.


The first is in a book I got with birthday money; I've only just begun to read it, and am enjoying it so much already. It's a collection of miscellaneous pieces - poetry and prose - about birds, illustrated with a collection of beautiful bird pictures. Here's a photo of the book cover and of one poem in the book. (The editor, Graeme Gibson, was married to Margaret Atwood; he died in 2019.)




The second poem is from another birthday book, Alive Together (I wrote about it here). It's a collection of poems by Lisel Mueller.  I'm reading through these a few at a time and savoring them. Here's one I just read (you may have to zoom in to get the text big enough to read):


And the third is from Barbara Kingsolver's new book of poetry, How to Fly (in Ten Thousand Easy Lessons). I recommend it highly! I borrowed (downloaded) this one from the library, so of course I read it fast, knowing it had to be returned. (This is my pattern. I prioritize books from the library because I don't get to keep them, and neglect books I own. And I keep putting more holds on library books, even though I have plenty of books at home to read.) Here's one of the many poems I loved from this book. There's a section of Notes at the end of the book giving the names of people for whom she wrote the poems, and she says that this one is for her husband. I love the idea, and would like to try writing a "Love Poem, with ________," for several people, filling in that blank with something that each person loves. (Click on the photo, then zoom in...)

 


 


It's almost National Poetry Month. My plan is to post daily in April, following the same format I have for the past two years, a kind of Spring Cleaning where I go through the poetic links I have open on my desktop and write about them, thus enabling me to close them. But this year I think I'll be even more open-ended about this than I have been in the past; I might repost some things from my archives, for example, or something I read in a paper book. We'll see!

 

Linda Baie has this week's roundup.

14 comments:

Bridget Magee said...

Thank you for sharing these 'flighty' poetic offerings, Ruth. I'm excited that Barbara Kingsolver has a new collection - I need to find it! :)

Janice Scully said...

These poems are fascinating, Ruth, and now I'm considering what "notions" Einstein might have had that he had to get rid of to view the world. The moment on the porch in the Kingsolver poem was so well written, listening to a companion through incoming birdsong. Of course, there is always, it seems, so much more in the poems you share. These poems are worth revisiting.

Linda Mitchell said...

What wonderful offerings! I love Barbara Kingsolver. I need to put her newest on hold. But, I hear you. The library borrow time is short compared to my time to attend to reading. Maybe spring break. I think of you when I see birds now.

Fran Haley said...

I treasure every bit of this, Ruth, and am now going to order Kingsolver's book - I LOVE her writing. Have you ever read the book When Women Were Birds: Fifty-Four Variations on Voice? Author Terri Tempest Williams. Not a volume of poetry but nevertheless lyrical - I feel sure you'd enjoy.

michelle kogan said...

"The Bedside Book of Birds" looks enchanting and I love the bird image on the cover. Barbara Kingsolver's "Love Poem, with Birds, swept me away, I love her line,"But who could be more present than a man with the patience of sycamores…"I'm ordering this from my library. Thanks for sharing all these feathered treasures with us Ruth! I'm listening to my sparrows who build a nest each spring outside my studio wall vent, and loving their serenade!

Linda B said...

Dear Ruth, I couldn't understand how you commented & I hadn't seen your post. Somehow I guess I skipped it! Anyway, it is a delicious post so full of bird love. I have a feeder out my window at my desk & more & more birds are arriving lately. I have Liesl Mueller's book & have read it, but now you've shown me I need to look again. I don't know the others, so thanks for them. That love poem by Barbara Kingsolver is simply fabulous, the final realization that his focus and sharing is truly a love for her. Thanks for sharing all the books. I look forward to your April postings every year!

Jone said...

Thank you for these three bird poems and three book recommendations. I can relate to the library books. I borrow so many!

Mary Lee said...

Thanks for the heads up about the new Barbara Kingsolver. How could I have missed that?

laurasalas said...

Wow, that Mandelstam poem is powerful. Nothing like a book that combines glorious words AND a favorite topic. And, yes, serendipity :>)

Kay said...

I love reading where birds are taking you. I even find myself paying more attention to the birds around me. This week I have been watching a pair of geese visit our pond.

Irene Latham said...

Dear Ruth, I do the same thing, prioritizing library books. :) And I love this bird language and how it must be informing your own birding life... fly, Ruth, fly! xo

Heidi Mordhorst said...

Whoa-ho! All lovely birdy works--I think my favorite is the bird "architecture" one by Liesl Mueller. Looking forward to April with you.

Christie Wyman said...

Lovely selection, Ruth. Would you believe, when I looked on Amazon, the cheapest copy of this book is $99? Crazy! It sounds delightful. And would you believe I have already chosen #AvianAllusions as my NPM project for this year? I'm ready to take flight! Peace and be well, Ruth.

Ruth said...

Oh no, Christie! Mine was $8.93 plus shipping and handling (I'm assuming you're referring to the Bedside Book of Birds).