Friday, May 14, 2021

Poetry Friday: Ted Kooser

Recently, a conversation with a new friend about Ted Kooser sent me on a Kooser binge. I have one book of his poetry (I wrote about it here), but I hadn't read much beyond that. Here are three of his poems that I particularly enjoyed.

 

In "Daddy Longlegs," he tries to imagine what a passing bug might be thinking, and succeeds in thinking what he might be thinking if he were that bug. All that in three sentences! I'll quote the first, and link you to the second and third.


Daddy Longlegs

by Ted Kooser


Here, on fine long legs springy as steel,

a life rides, sealed in a small brown pill

that skims along over the basement floor

wrapped up in a simple obsession.


Here's the rest.

 

 

In "Abandoned Farmhouse," he uses the clues in that farmhouse to imagine what kind of lives were lived there.

 

Abandoned Farmhouse

by Ted Kooser

 

He was a big man, says the size of his shoes 

on a pile of broken dishes by the house;

a tall man too, says the length of the bed

in an upstairs room, and a good, God-fearing man,

says the Bible with a broken back


(Intrigued? I sure was. Here's the rest.)

 

 

The third one is about a kitchen, and a grandmother.

 

A Room in the Past

by Ted Kooser

 

It's a kitchen. Its curtains fill

with a morning light so bright 

you can't see beyond its windows

into the afternoon. Here's the rest.

 

I'm thinking about acquiring another book of Kooser's work, because I sure did enjoy that deep dive into his poetry that's available online. 


Irene has this week's roundup.

 

 

12 comments:

Linda Mitchell said...

A Kooser binge! Yes, I have been on them myself. They are refreshing and inspiring. The best part about Kooser poems for me is that they really take me to the place. There are wonderful characters and events...but those places I go stick with me. Thanks for the journey through some of his works this morning.

Margaret Simon said...

I met Ted Kooser long ago. He's a charmer and such a wholesome poet. I have a book of his "The Poetry Home Repair Manual" (https://www.amazon.com/Poetry-Home-Repair-Manual-Practical/dp/0803259786) that I use periodically. I need to go dig out the books I have. Thanks for the shove into this hole.

Irene Latham said...

His poems are matter of fact, aren't they? Nothing flowery, but full of truth and emotion. I long enjoyed his American Life column, too. Like Margaret, I found his how-to book to be useful. xo

Carol Varsalona said...

Ruth, thank you for letting dip into Kooser's poems that are so appealing. I love the way he describes scenes and makes his characters pop. Your post invites me to find more Kooser's poems and binge.

Linda B said...

I love his words, Ruth, have several of his books & like others who wrote above, his Poetry Repair Manual. There is always a tinge of his respect for what he writes about, isn't there, whether people or things? I enjoyed your choices very much.

Denise Krebs said...

Ruth, thank you for introducing me to Kooser. I'm enjoying being on my first Kooser binge today, thanks to your post.

Michelle Kogan said...

That second poem packs a wallop, I like all the articles "says" talking to us–melancholic and powerful poem. I also liked the dual relationship the floor takes on in the "Daddy Longlegs poem," thanks for all Ruth!

Mary Lee said...

I love Ted Kooser's poetry. I'm missing him terribly since he retired from American Life in Poetry. Not only does he write great poems, but he picked great poems!

jama said...

Thanks for the Kooser fix. I hadn't seen the first two poems before, so they were a treat. Love the plain, unadorned language inviting the reader to draw their own conclusions. The second poem was really intriguing.

KatApel - katswhiskers.wordpress.com said...

I loved sharing this mini-binge with you, Ruth.

Elisabeth said...

Thank you for highlighting this poet today! I loved these poems, especially this part of the first poem:

"the secret dream
of walking alone across the floor of my life
with an easy grace, and with love enough
to live on at the center of myself."

Karen Edmisten said...

Oh, a Kooser binge. I haven't gone on one of those in a while. (The second poem made me shiver.) I've heard him read several times, starting back in my college days and he's been to our little town for readings a couple of times. Always a sublime experience. Thanks for this, Ruth!