Thursday, May 06, 2021

Spiritual Journey Thursday: Blossoms of Joy

 


This month's host, Carol Varsalona, has asked that we reflect on Blossoms of Joy. (You can see everyone else's posts at that link.) I have already been reflecting on blossoms, because at this time of year, our flamboyant trees (poinciana) are starting to be in bloom here in Haiti. They aren't anywhere near as bright and beautiful as they will be in a month or so, but they are starting.  This past week I took a picture of the first flowers on our campus and wrote a haiku to go along with it.



You can see pictures of the flamboyant in more dramatic colors, as well as a poem I wrote about these gorgeous trees, here

 

I really do see these blossoms as a gift from God each year.  And the blue air mail paper, in my childhood, was a joyous thing, as I spent so much time in a different country from people I loved. Those blue air mail letters appearing in the mail were always welcome. It's something my own children haven't even experienced, not because they aren't in a different country from people they love (they are), but because air mail letters seem to be a thing of the past. They are much more likely to do an online chat instead.


Flowering trees are a wonderful thing no matter where you live; probably every location has some that are particularly treasured. In Tokyo, it's the sakura (cherry blossoms). I reveled in the beautiful photos again this year, some in the news, and some taken by people I know who live there. But I also got a little bit of a shiver when I read that they were early this year. Not just early - the earliest ever. And lest you think that means the earliest in some weatherperson's life, no. They have been keeping records for twelve hundred years. When they say it's the earliest ever, they mean it. (Here's an article about that.)


Sakura blooms pink

Festival dates changed this year

Spring warmth came early.


The blossoms still brought joy. We can feel more than one thing at a time.

8 comments:

Karen Eastlund said...

Thank you, Ruth. The blue airmail paper is just perfect. Many blossoms...many blessings.

Tabatha said...

Yes, more than one thing at a time.

Carol Varsalona said...

Ruth, your flamboyant flowers of Haiti are gorgeous-"flourish and a bit ostentatious but obviously show stoppers. Who does not love bold, beautiful florals. They do bring joy and you brought it with your poems. Spring holds so many beauties for us to gather. I just came back from a charity event in my new community. We created small bouquets of flowers for those in hospice who need blossoms of joy to brighten their day. I sit here now thinking of what those bouquets will offer those so close to moving to a new heavenly home. Blessings to you, Ruth.

Linda Mitchell said...

I so appreciate that love letter from God...and I have very fond memories of those envelopes. They always brought welcome love from home.

Margaret Simon said...

I love your #poemofpresence on the blue air mail.

Fran Haley said...

That sky is your literal blue airmail from on high, Ruth - I can feel your anticipation for the full blossoming of the poinciana, as well as your gratitude. I write a lot of things to remember them and their "specialness" - like those blue letters you got long ago.

Ramona said...

I remember letters on blue air mail paper! I lived for those scraps of correspondence from family and friends. My dad would fill in the tiny bit that folded up. I love your haiku! I consider blossoms (and autumn colors) gifts from God too.

Ramona said...

Not sure where my comment went. The mysteries of our day. I too loved the blue air mail letters arriving from family and friends. My mom always saved the fold up portion for my dad's words. Like you, I consider blossoms a gift from God. Our blossoms are almost gone and trees are leafing out. But just a few months and fall color will arrive. Love the cycle of growth and renewal.