Friday, January 07, 2022

Poetry Friday: Where the Map Begins

Jan Richardson shared this poem on Facebook yesterday in honor of Epiphany. (Her website is here.) It struck me especially because my OLW for 2022 is BEGINNER. What a great reminder that there is treasure here, at the beginning of the new year, and the beginning of so many new things in my life.


WHERE THE MAP BEGINS
A Blessing for Epiphany
This is not
any map you know.
Forget longitude.
Forget latitude.
Do not think
of distances
or of plotting
the most direct route.
Astrolabe, sextant, compass:
these will not help you here.
This is the map
that begins with a star.
This is the chart
that starts with fire,
with blazing,
with an ancient light
that has outlasted
generations, empires,
cultures, wars.
Look starward once,
then look away.
Close your eyes
and see how the map
begins to blossom
behind your lids,
how it constellates,
its lines stretching out
from where you stand.
You cannot see it all,
cannot divine the way
it will turn and spiral,
cannot perceive how
the road you walk
will lead you finally inside,
through the labyrinth
of your own heart
and belly
and lungs.
But step out
and you will know
what the wise who traveled
this path before you
knew:
the treasure in this map
is buried not at journey’s end
but at its beginning.
—Jan Richardson
from Circle of Grace: A Book of Blessings for the Season
 
 


10 comments:

Linda Mitchell said...

WOW! And, your word beginner works so well with this poem (and also my word, star). I was taking notes before I even got through the first read. Beautiful poem. Thanks for sharing!

Ruth said...

Yes, Linda, it totally works with your word too!

Carol Varsalona said...

Ruth, I love this poem. It is a great reflective one for me because of the significance of the Epiphany (we celebrate Little Christmas) in our family life and secondly because begin was my OLW last year. The Magi were travelers to a small place of great importance. My family traveled afar to follow our star to our grandchildren. Family is sacred. I will keep this poem to remind me of the importance of our move. May your new beginning be blessed with new surprises and bends in the road. May there be few bumps in the road and where they are, may you step with strength to reach a safe place.

Linda B said...

I thought of Linda M., too, when I read this because of her OLW, Ruth. Every part feels like a support for you in your new journey, too. I love the idea of "see how the map/begins to blossom". Sending my best wishes for a special 2022 for you and your husband.

Heidi Mordhorst said...

Well now, isn't that a useful poem for those such as we who step forward towards uncharted beginnings? These lines...
"Close your eyes
and see how the map
begins to blossom
behind your lids,
how it constellates..."

I AM having to close my eyes here and there; I can't afford to look at some of what is going down while I make it to the end of this year. Thanks and let us know where you are these days, if you can, Ruth.

Tabatha said...

Beautiful pick, Ruth! It even works with my OLW, since there is treasure :)

Mary Lee said...

Best wishes and a star (or two) to guide you in this year of changes!

Janice Scully said...

Best wishes to you, as you have moved and are beginning in a new place. This poem is amazing! Thanks for sharing it.

mbhmaine said...

You always share the best poems, Ruth! This is another beauty and I especially love the lines, "Close your eyes/and see how the map/begins to blossom/behind your lids,/how it constellates..." I've been pondering beginnings lately and how they are so often marked with endings. Wishing you the best on your newest beginning!

Elisabeth said...

Thanks for sharing this contemplative poem with us. Beginning is a great word to act as a guiding light through a new year in a new place.