Thursday, January 06, 2022

Spiritual Journey Thursday: OLW


My One Little Word for 2021 was FLOURISHING. One thing I've learned from watching birds is that sometimes in order to flourish, you need to migrate. And in 2021, for many reasons, my husband and I made the decision to migrate. In October, we went to South America for a job interview. In November, I joined Duolingo and started learning Spanish. In December, after about six weeks of intense packing and bringing an end to 25 years of living in Haiti, we left. And in January, in a few days, we are moving to Paraguay.


So for 2022, my OLW is BEGINNER. I'm going to be a beginner this year in so many ways. I'll be learning a new language, a new culture. I'll have a new job. I'll be making new friends and setting up a new home. 


This new beginning is coming from a lot of endings, a lot of loss. I am grieving. But I don't want to get stuck in the ending. Instead, I want to look to the beginning and all the new possibilities that it brings. 


Beginnings aren't easy. I'm going to need a lot of grace and a lot of time. I need to be patient with myself and allow myself to make mistakes without getting discouraged. I need to recognize that there will be many emotions along the way. I need to remind myself that I don't have to know much yet; I have to listen and learn.


Here are some wise words from Henri Nouwen on being a beginner:



I've been reading about the concept of the Beginner's Mind. Here's a helpful article I found about how to have a Beginner's Mind. It closes by pointing out: 


"At the onset of a new experience, it’s impossible not to have the mindset of a beginner.

But as time moves along, these attitudes drift away. As knowledge and understanding root themselves in your mind, your aperture of consideration narrows.

Cultivating Beginner’s Mind is a way to reverse this limiting tendency.

Seeing things anew brings fresh perspective to old sights, and opens up a world of intrigue and possibility in every day.

The best part about beginner’s mind is that it’s always accessible. Every week, every day, and every moment is an opportunity to begin again."

 

In 2022, I'll be having many new experiences. I want to take this opportunity to be a BEGINNER, something not afforded to everyone, especially at my (not super young) age. In Paraguay back in October, I snapped this photo. There were renovations happening in the airport, and since I speak French, I was able to figure out the Spanish pretty easily. It means, "Very soon you will live a new experience." It seemed prophetic: I would be a BEGINNER. And I don't want to waste the chance. 



Margaret is roundup up everyone's OLW here. What's yours?

12 comments:

Margaret Simon said...

Oh, how I wish for you an open door, possibilities to grow in life and love. Grief is real and you should not deny it. I love the Nouwen piece, "My name is God-with-you." Emmanuel has come and will be with you every step of the way.

Tabatha said...

Who made the Spiritual Thursday 2022 logo? So pretty!
I love your mind, Ruth, whether you are flourishing, migrating, beginning, or grieving, or all of the above.

Linda Mitchell said...

Oh, I'm so glad you've left. I'm sorry over your losses. Just so sorry that you could not remain. But, I love that you have a new place to grow from. Did you ever listen to or read Yo Yo Ma's book (on audible) Beginner's Mind? It's wonderful. I highly recommend it for you this year. And, he reads it himself which is a treat. Happy New Year, Ruth! I can't wait to learn about Paraguay! My daughter and I have been watching netflix Street Food Asia and Street Food South America. You are in for some special food treats!

Karen Eastlund said...

Ruth: I wish you many blessings in your new life. Grief will need its time in this whirlwind, but what courage!!! May patience and humor be with you as well, and I look forward to reading of your adventures.

Ruth said...

Tabatha, I think it was Margaret.

Linda, thanks for the book recommendation!

Everybody, thanks for your kind comments!

Ruth Ayres said...

Wow! What a whirlwind of a story and what a perfectly perfect word for your 2022. I think it is lovely to embrace being a beginner. May you enjoy many sweet moments as you "begin."
Shine on,
Ruth

Fran Haley said...

How exciting, to be beginning anew and embracing it this way! Love this "not getting stuck in the ending" and the idea of not wasting the chance to be a beginner.

Maureen said...

What an amazing journey to be on! And you offer such honest, insightful words, "I am grieving." It is so important to own the grief of this enormous transition. Alongside the grief is the preciousness of "begin" - the perfect word, I think. Your writing and reflections will be enormously helpful in the days and months to come, I believe.

Ramona said...

Ruth, in Haiti, on my prayer list now switches to Ruth, in Paraguay. I look forward to following you in this new setting. I know it was a hard decision and part of your heart will be in Haiti always, but I admire your willingness to be a beginner. Kudos to you on this new adventure. Sending comfort for the days you will grieve your losses.

Carol Varsalona said...

Ruth, I am sorry that I am late in reading your post but I am happy it comes at the beginning of the day. I am enlightened by your optimism to start a new journey and your belief in the power of beginnings. Last year's OLW begin was a blessing as I moved through highs and lows of my new life journey to Virginia. It is not as far away as yours but I did so want to greet the new year with hope. My beginning has morphed into appreciation with my OLW appreciate. I especially appreciate your inclusion of Nouwen's passage. It has brought peace. May your journey to another land bring you the beginnings of joy and many new sights to open your eyes to the beauty of the world.

Chris Margocs said...

This is a powerful OLW to start your new journey, Ruth. And what a coincidence for me, as I have the book Beginners by Tom Vanderbilt sitting on my to-read pile in the living room; your post has prompted me to move it up the list. I admire you and your husband for your courage in making such a big move, and can empathize a bit with the sorrow of leaving a place you've become attached to. I'm looking forward to your new experiences!

KatApel - katswhiskers.wordpress.com said...

How brave and strong and inspirational you are, Ruth. Romans 15:13 is my prayer for you. But I am also reminded of James 1:12. You have persevered, and stood the test of time.👸🏻 Praying for you in your new beginnings - and in your healing.