Saturday, October 07, 2023

Birdtober Day Eight: Pin-tailed Whydah

For the first two years that I did Birdtober, the first day of the prompt list featured a bird I'd seen before. But this year, I had to get to the eighth day before encountering a familiar bird. This spectacular species is one we have here in Uganda, and I have it so far on twenty of my checklists. Here's a wonderful post about this bird written from Zimbabwe. I got a lot of my information from this vivid description of the bird's behavior.



Source: eBird.com


The Pin-tailed Whydah's a Lothario

Spreading his genes far and wide

Midair mating his favorite scenario

Flowing tailfeathers his pride.

His mates lay eggs in waxbills' nests,

Avoiding tough parenting jobs.

The babies, raised as waxbill guests,

Become in turn whydah heartthrobs. 


©Ruth Bowen Hersey



No comments: