Saturday, October 09, 2010

Barbara Kingsolver on BBC World Book Club

I had the great pleasure today of listening to one of my favorite authors, Barbara Kingsolver, being interviewed on one of my favorite radio shows, The BBC World Book Club, talking about one of my favorite books of all time, The Poisonwood Bible. (I listen by podcast, and at the BBC World Book Club link you can find out how you can, too.)

I have known for a while that Kingsolver was going to be on, and had planned to reread the book in preparation, but never got around to doing that. I have read it several times, however, and it is quite fresh in my mind. I enjoyed the discussion very much, and learned that my favorite part of the book was the part she most wanted to write: the lives the daughters lead after they grow up. The girls' stories epitomize some of the ways TCKs react to their cross-cultural experiences. I also learned that Kingsolver worked on this novel for ten years, and that with every one of her books she writes two to three hundred pages that she simply throws away.

But there's more - go listen yourself!

No comments: