Thursday, November 24, 2011

Thanksgiving

I didn't blog yesterday. So sue me. It was the first day I'd missed in November. Oh well, I never signed up for NaBloPoMo officially because I was sure that would happen.

This year I am thankful for my family and friends, for my students, for meaningful work to do, for God's provision for me every single day.

Today isn't a day to feel sad, but I do feel a little sad: for the separation that is inevitable in this world, the people I miss, the brokenness that I see everywhere. And yet, in the middle of all of that, there is so much that is beautiful, so much to be thankful for.



"Friendship and goodwill a sweet invitation
Kindred in spirit and eager to share
Love in familiar and long conversations
There is the wonder, there is the wonder...
Press mud with holy fingers
Light the ineffable
Fused in the ordinary
So much to wonder, so much to wonder..." - Sara Groves

1 comment:

Matsu said...

Thank you. That song is such a great song. A very dear friend of mine first introduced me to Sara Groves and I've enjoyed every CD she's come out with since then.

You are right about how today is a mix of thankfulness for friends and family both near and far and longing to be with them. As we think of our loved ones in distant places (or at least not here, even if they are only an hour or two away) it's easy to miss them and feel a little sad. The good thing is that we have family and friends who we love and who love us. That is certainly something to be thankful for.

Oh, and congratulations on writing on your blog every day except one (that's a great accomplishment). Don't stop writing.